Outside Crawler Storage

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Outside Crawler Storage

Post by KenP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:23 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdemaris

Re: Outside Crawler Storage

Post by jdemaris » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:47 am

KenP wrote:Hi all. Fall is certainly upon us in New England. Temps are dropping and rain showers are frequent.
I have to store my 350 crawler/loader outdoors.
If it's going to sit outside all winter - there's nothing wrong with putting a few holes in the front bucket. Also, take the drain plugs out of the clutch housings, tie the steering clutch levers back, and park the crawler off the ground on some logs, pieces of wood, etc. If you have a winch, take the drain plug out of that also. Even with a tarp, the temperature extremes around here - and dampness when parked on dirt - will cause condensation to form inside the housings.

Generally speaking, I hate leaving anything outside. But, I never have enough room to house all my equipment. Sometimes the snow accumlates and gets four feet deep. Not a great thing with a machine buried in it, and then having the sun come out and start the snow melting.
Have you ever considered hiring some of those Mexicans that travel all over New England installing those cheap metal car ports? I put three in last year - they installed them cheaper than I can buy them outright.

One side-note. We had many logger customers that - when the weather got real cold - they parked their crawlers half-submerged in creeks or small rivers. This way, the tracks didn't freeze up. Not something I recommend - and it led to many road-calls out to the woods. Usually caused condensation problems in the electrical system. Not a lot of fun to work on a crawler sitting in a creek that won't start when it's below zero.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 am

If you really want to leave the bucket curled down try smeering some new greese on the complete exposed rams just to keep them from rusting and damaging the seals and tarp the engine as well .I bought a 555A crawler loader last fall that sat for four years like that and the hardest thing on it was the old antifreeze that was left in it which ate out the sleeves .I figured on a engine kit any way as the previouse owner would not sell till there was antifreeze on the motor oil and he sold for twice scrap price without hesitation .weather is hard on machienery and shure beats the life out of them .Can you make a lean to on the side of a shed that is the cheapest way to go .Digitup.