John Deere 350C, where should I start?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Eagle Spirit
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 350C, where should I start?

Post by Eagle Spirit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi,

Been reading through some of your site and have got some great info.

We just pulled a 350C out of the woods where it had been living for a few years. I need to come up with a plan of getting it operational.

When we went to get it out of the woods we did not try and start it, the right hand track is frozen. What I think is the right hand steering lever is quite loose like it is not attached to anything.

We drug it behind a JD 555 for maybe an eighth of a mile to get it out of the woods, and the track did not free up. I had been told it was probably the steering clutches rusted but after reading some posts on this site have come to learn that the 350C has wet clutches so if they are still wet then I would not think that they would be rusty. I do not know how to check them yet. I am leaning more towards the lever feeling so free and loose.

Where would you start? The drivetrain, the engine or?

I guess I really need to get a owners manual and a technical manual. Are these still available from the dealer? I thought I had read that they were and thought I had seen a link but have been unable to find that post again.

I will get some pics posted and if you want any certain pics of the machine let me know.

Thanks for any help!

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:17 am

When i got my 350c its right brake was dragging real bad. Theres a cross shaft in the steering clutch housing thats part of the brake linkage, mine was rusted in the bushings on each side of the steering clutch housing. If the shaft sticks the brake will stay on and youll get a really loose feel to that steering lever. Even if the housing still has oil in it, the level isnt up to the shaft and if they sit for a long time condensation can still get in. Look under the seat and see if the crank that goes into the clutch housing is moving or not when you move your steering lever.

Eagle Spirit
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Eagle Spirit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks,

Sounds like a good place to start.

It is like I need to be looking into several areas at once. I really want to see if I can get it to fire.

All I need is time and info!

Thanks again

Hartlyboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Hartlyboy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Manuals are still available from the dealer or places like Jennsales. If you go with the manual from a dealer, you can get a CD or a printed copy. I got the CD but think a printed copy would be easier to work with.