How can I tell what backhoe model will fit my 450C crawler/l

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
surferpete
40C crawler
40C crawler

How can I tell what backhoe model will fit my 450C crawler/l

Post by surferpete » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Good Evening to all....I'm very excited about becoming a new John Deere owner, and even more excited about owning this fine machine. I hope it serves me well for many years to come..seeing I am the second owner of a well maintained machine. Unfortunately this crawler did not come with a backhoe attachmnet, and I would really like to add this to the "arsenal". How can I tell if the attachment will be compatible to this particular machine ?? (serial #: 450CA - 381731T ) . I know my local dealer told me that this particular machine will need a backhoe that is an "Open Center Hydrolic System"...what does this mean??? I know she carries the bigger 23 GPM pump, so I'm covered at that point...but are there archives somewhere where I can cross reference where certain serial numbers from certain attachments will fit my machine??? Hope someone can help. I'm really looking forward to the learning process, and meeting other Deere owners on this forum. Thanks Again... Pete :?

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Here are two that will fit

Post by KenP » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 am

Surferpete,
Hi. Welcome. I'm a relative newbie myself, but have a hoe on my 350 crawler. The literature for my 93A backhoe says it will fit a JD450. So there's one data point for you. The 95 will also fit. Both are open center hydraulic systems. I'm sure others here will have information on later hoes that will fit. I'm sure you'll want to determine all the hoes that may be suitable, as the more you know, the better you'll be able to find a bargain in the used market.
You didn't mention whether or not the machine ever had a hoe or whether or not it already has the mounts and hydraulics installed.
If not, finding a hoe may be the easy part. Finding the mounts/etc could be trickier.
If you have the mounts and hydraulic lines already there, installing a hoe is pretty easy.
Here is what the mounts for a 93A/95 hoe look like on my 350. The hydraulic lines/couplers attach to a similar set on the hoe. The hoe has two fixed pins that go in the bottom "hooks" and two removeable pins for the top holes. As you might imagine, these mounts are heavy being made out of 1" thick plate steel.
Hope this helps.
KenP

jdemaris

Re: How can I tell what backhoe model will fit my 450C crawl

Post by jdemaris » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:53 am

surferpete wrote: Unfortunately this crawler did not come with a backhoe attachmnet, and I would really like to add this to the "arsenal". How can I tell if the attachment will be compatible to this particular machine ??
Deere 1010s, 2010s, 350s, and 450s all use a rear toolbar mount with the same specs - so a hoe from any of those machines can fit yours, as long as you have the mount that bolts to your machine.

Deere toolbar/backhoe/ripper mount measures 17
1/8” center to center from top to bottom with 1” diameter pins. Width is 27” center to center with a 1” slot.

Some choices are Deere 50, 51, 93, 95, 9500, 9550, etc.

I suggest you get your toolbar first, then - whever you find a hoe - check the measurements and make sure it fits.

surferpete
40C crawler
40C crawler

RE: 450C mounts and attachments

Post by surferpete » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks for your help KenP...This was very helpful, and wise thinking. I will start looking for the toolbar attachment right away. I agree this will make the process easier. Thanks Again... Pete :D

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Pete,
Another thought. If your crawler has a ROPS cage on it, depending on its design, you may have to remove it to mount the hoe and use it. The seat for the hoe requires that you sit directly over the fuel tank. When operating the crawler, the hoe seat pivots up and latches.
Here is the Deere brochure for the 93A. Others are similar.
http://www.murphyused.com/images/specs/357.pdf

Let us know if you have any more questions.

KenP

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: How can I tell what backhoe model will fit my 450C crawl

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 pm

jdemaris wrote:
Deere 1010s, 2010s, 350s, and 450s all use a rear toolbar mount with the same specs - so a hoe from any of those machines can fit yours, as long as you have the mount that bolts to your machine.

Deere toolbar/backhoe/ripper mount measures 17
1/8” center to center from top to bottom with 1” diameter pins. Width is 27” center to center with a 1” slot.

Some choices are Deere 50, 51, 93, 95, 9500, 9550, etc.

I suggest you get your toolbar first, then - whever you find a hoe - check the measurements and make sure it fits.
Hey Jdemaris- does this mean that newer attachments for a 350 or 450 series crawler are "backwards compatible" to a 2010? For instance, I could take a newer backhoe from a 450 series and use on a 2010? I like SuferPete's idea of upgrading to a backhoe with the tandem cylinders rather than the rotary vane cylinder.

I'm guessing the attachment brackets (toolbar) are still different.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment