JD350 Loader Radiator remove/replace

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bobdoss
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD350 Loader Radiator remove/replace

Post by bobdoss » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:23 pm

I've been told that the heavy steel cowling that surrounds the radiator on my JD350 Loader must be removed in order to R/R the radiator itself.

1. Is that the only way to do it?

2. If so, what tricks are there to removing this big chunk of steel?

3. Where should I look for a replacement radiator?

squarede
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by squarede » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Bob,
I just had my radiator out for a repair.
It's not too hard, but you have to be careful not to do damage to the radiator when lifting the cowling off (and putting it back on).
I used a chainfall hooked over a beam in my barn to lift the cowling off after unbolting. By using the chainfall you have pretty good control and can stop at any point it things go bad. It defintely helps to have someone to help line things up.
I don't know what is wrong with your radiator, but I was able to solder mine and fix some leaks by using acid core solder and a torch -did I mention that I am VERY patient?
I fixed up a manifold that I could use to charge the rad with air and submersed it in a stock tank so that I could see where the leaks were.
It took a couple of times, but I eventually got it.
If you're not quite so patient, you could take it to a radiator shop and have it repaired or re-cored.
I think that a new one from JD is about $1500.

gene s
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by gene s » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:38 am

The front cowl looks heavier than it really is. No you can't lift it without a hoist or engine lift, but it's real easy to remove. I used a engine puller by myself to remove and reinstall, no problem. I personally would take the radiator to a repair shop and see what goes. Hopefully the tanks are still good and the repair won't cost you an arm & a leg.
MF40, MF30,350B

Griff
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Griff » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:33 pm

I recently got my first crawler. It is a 350B. The first thing I did to it was remove the front clip. Having never worked on heavy equipment I was surprised at how easy it was to remove. After removing the skid plate that runds the length of the machine I used a floor jack to support the weight of the front clip. After pulling the bolts I used a chain through the little door for the radiator cap to lit it from the a board that I put across the two arms for the bucket. It turs out that the piece isn't as heavy as it looks, I was able move it without much trouble at all. Good luck!

Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: JD350 Loader Radiator remove/replace

Post by Gwilkrrs » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Any steps or advice on how to remove the cowling in order to remove the radiator?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:45 pm

By cowling i assume that would be what i call the hood...covers engine?...my JD440 was more than enough for me, so i used chain hoist or pulley hoist to raise it enough to clear and then , jimmied it around so it would stand upon the tracks, where i could handle it to the ground...used pulley hoist to get it back up and on again...fact is i left the blamed thing off until i was sure i didnt need back under it again, as i did have shed to keep it dry.

a bit easier with 2 people.

Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Gwilkrrs » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:28 am

the cowling is the "nose cone" in front of the hood that the grill is inserted in.
my understanding is the hood comes off and the cowling needs to come off to get the radiator out?
i am not sure what steps are required for the cowling (where the bolts are)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:50 am

Hi,

Down at the bottom. Remove one on each side and it tilts forward. You can then pull the radiator. Worked that way on my straight 350. I never needed to do a radiator on the 350C (so I hope they didn't change how it works).

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:20 am

I believe you have a 350C, don't you? I don't think it matters in this case but to be sure you get the right information, especially when tagging on to an old post, you should mention that as in some cases there are changes between the different series of a model. Just don't want to see you get bad info that could be caused by the right info being given for the original machine posted, but the wrong machine currently being asked about.

Stan pretty well covered it. It looks like the 350C has a pivot strap (item key 17) that the housing can pivot forward on after the 4 lower bolts and bolts (item key 20) on each side are removed. I think you will need to remove the bolts (Item key #8, 4 of them?) from the front of the belly pan, across the machine as well, if they thread into the bottom of the grille housing. Use care, it is heavy. Here are links to the parts page for the 350C grille and housing as well as the page for the belly pans.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... /pgId/1447

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... /pgId/1302

Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Gwilkrrs » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:28 am

lesson learned/thanks

yes i have a 350C.

thanks for the info guys- i am looking for a place to send the radiator to see if it can be repaired (it squirts out the front upper left corner pretty good) but am researching how much of a chore it will be to get out beforehand....

i am thinking the radiator removal itself is relatively simple? hose removals and flange bolts?

Gwilkrrs
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Gwilkrrs » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:32 pm

So I finally got around to removing the radiator, you were correct the 4 belly pan bolts and the 3 (#20) bolts from each side and the HEAVY nose cone pivots forward-
Now to drop it off at the repair shop and see……..