track pads on my 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Paul45
430 crawler
430 crawler

track pads on my 350

Post by Paul45 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 am

I just bought a JD350, runs good and works well also (need right ride brake band). the track pads are flat and wondering if i can weld ribs on the pads for better traction or is it better to replace pads. where can i get them and how much are they? THANKS Paul
thanks Paul

350 track loader, 350 dozer

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:41 pm

If it is a loader crawler, they typically would not have much grouser to start with. If it is a dozer, then it probably had grouser pads, and the grouser is just worn off. You can buy grouser stock by the foot, couple bucks a foot last I heard. New pads are not that spendy, but supply is really sporadic right now for some reason on 350 stuff. Price will vary depending on width and style.
Lavoy

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Paul: Take a look at the link I've attached. If your pads aren't too worn and bent over, you can build them up using grouser stock and appropriate rod (7018 rod has been my choice).

http://www.olofsfors.se/default.asp?id=2042

There are other manufacturers out there, I just chose one with some pictures. Where I live, we often add 3" pieces in a "two - one" pattern to build up worn snow grousers as caulks (some people use 1" or 2" pieces for more penetration on ice - I like the bigger pieces for longer wear and better bonding. I get the stock cut to size at a local spring shop who has a big shear; its faster and neater than using a torch. Someone else may have an opinion on backhoe pads.
It usually took me a day to do a 350 or 450 this way.
Paul B.
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:34 pm

One thong to consider...if you have a crawler loader then you don't want to build up the bars (grousers) too much. There's been some discussion on here that too much traction for a loader is very hard on the drivetrain.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Paul45
430 crawler
430 crawler

It is a Loader/ crawler

Post by Paul45 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:19 am

Thanks for reply, I did find some heat treated grouser bar stock, some is hex shaped and 3/4" tall others were 1'' tall. I am concerned about the drive train if i do this.
I was thinking of welding only one bar per pad (instead of three) What are your thoughts? thanks Paul
thanks Paul

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:39 am

One bar per pad will actually put more stress on things than 3. With 3 bars, they will tend to float on top more and not dig in as much. One grouser will be more like a conventional pad and will really dig in. I will also be a lot harder to turn in hard dirt, and you will really tear up any hard surface if you have to drive on it.
Lavoy

Paul45
430 crawler
430 crawler

THANKS

Post by Paul45 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am

That makes sense Thanks
thanks Paul

ecostruction
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pics of Difference

Post by ecostruction » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Anybody have any pics showing the difference between the loaders and the dozers? As far as pads are concerned.

Also, sorry different subject sort of, but when I bought my 350B loader the guy gave me an old grease gun with a special fitting for the track tensioner. Can I remove the special fitting an put it on a modern grease gun? Any special grease I'm to use? My left side track has too much slack. I pumped grease into it and it got a little better, but now it's loose again. Looks like I'm losing grease from a seal around the piston. This an easy fix?

Manuals on order, supposedly.

Thanks.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Eco,
The old grease gun with the special fitting may be the original low pressure gun for putting heavy OIL (not grease) in the track rollers and track tensioners when they were new and would hold the OIL. As the seals wear on the rollers and on the tensioner piston shaft people would switch to a light grease ( JD cornhead grease ) that the seals would hold in. The special fitting is called a button head fitting and is shaped that way to stand up to dirt and rocks hitting and rubbing past them.
Modern ( regular ) grease guns are high pressure (6000-10000 psi). you can put the special button head fitting on a regular gun but don't put much pressure on the handle when greasing the rollers or adjusters or you will blow the seals out - $$$$. New seals are extreemly expensive. 2 on each roller!!
As for your track tensioner, it sounds like the seal is shot and it will not hold pressure. To replace the seal I think you need to collapse the adjuster(see manual), remove track(see manual) disassemble adjuster, clean and reassemble. EASY!! Ha,Ha

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Numbers 6-8 are usually used on loaders; the others are usually used on dozers. As said elsewhere, the heavy weight of a loader make the other (grouser) track pads too aggressive and can put a lot of extra strain on the machine. The snow pads have the holes in them and let materials squeeze through helping to keep the tracks on in frozen weather, and have a staggered 2/1 grouser arrangement for better ground penetration and easier turning.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/T631/T631 ... 8SEP95.gif

This is the link to the JD parts manual page; click "find" to see other 350 model info.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
Hope this helps. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch