Splitting 450 tracks

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Splitting 450 tracks

Post by Mariner » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi,

I have a '69 450 that needs some steering clutch work done.
I am trying to get the master pins out of the links but they don't seem to want to budge or move at all.
First, I do have both snap rings off of the pins. The tracks are positioned as per specs - at the rear and about approx. at the corned of the gearbox. I do not have oxy-acetylene and am using a tiger torch with propane, to put heat to the plates. I have tried driving the pins out with a sledge and drift but they don't want to move - yet :evil: :evil: .

So, what do you experienced owners use to remove your "master track pins" ?

I am thinking heating and then maybe using a hydraulic jack - providing it is properly supported and positioned.

Any advice would be very welcome - I am in a bit of a bind and the weather is starting to get very wintery now :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Thanks in advance

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:15 am

It sounds like you are doing the right things....just have to get bigger and rougher with it! Not to question you, but are you sure tension has been taken off the tracks?

One more trick...I think someone has mentioned before about using dry ice on the master pin as well as heating the link. May want to see what others say!
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:03 am

Mariner: I am not familiar with a tiger torch. But propane alone is not hot enough. Propane and oxy should work or oxy acet. Heat the link not the pin or the pads. Get them red hot and drive away. Steve.

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Splitting 450 tracks

Post by Mariner » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Steve,

Thx for your comments.
Today I have managed to loan an oxy-acetylene set, so I might do a bit better now.
Re heating the links. I assume that they are heated with the pads still attched by the four bolts? How about removing the pads either side of the master pin as it would make heating much easier, as well as making access to the pin better. Using a sledge on the links without the pads on - would that be likely to damage anything as I am sure the pads takesoe of the force from hammer blows etc.? The bulk of th force would be bsorbed by the thick sprocket wheel?

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 am

Mariner: You can remove the pad on the link with the bushing. I would leave the pad on the link with the pin in it though. Otherwise the link halves may spread when driving pin out. Steve.