my 350 (gas) just stopped... help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ChrisMis
40C crawler
40C crawler

my 350 (gas) just stopped... help

Post by ChrisMis » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:40 am

I have a 65' JD 350 (gas) crawler. It has been great. I was just splitting wood off it at a slow idle and it sounded like something snapped in the engine. It coughed and pushed some smoke out. It also sounded like some loose change was in there (yikes). I shut it off as quick as possible, probably within 10-15 seconds). When I took a look, everything from the outside looked alright. I took a chance and turned it over again to check if I was getting a spark; I am with no loose change sound.
I am really new at figuring this stuff out but I'd love to. This site has helped amazingly in the past... can anybody help this time? I'd certainly appreciate it.

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:17 pm

sounds like you may have broke the drive disc attached to the flywheel,they are a weak spot on the 350 and they let go without warning.
it falls apart inside the bell housing and jams the engine.
you would have to pull the engine to see if this is what happen. :(

ChrisMis
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ChrisMis » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info eventhough it doesn't sound good. Pulling the engine would be tough to do myself.

You say that it would jam the engine yet it turns over okay. Am I just lucky that it isn't jammed or could it be something else?

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:32 am

ChrisMis wrote:Thanks for the info eventhough it doesn't sound good. Pulling the engine would be tough to do myself.

You say that it would jam the engine yet it turns over okay. Am I just lucky that it isn't jammed or could it be something else?
Early 350s - with reverser, or without - use a standard spring-loaded clutch disk bolted to the flywheel. So, when they break - the engine does NOT lock up.

Later 350s with reversers - use a convoluted set of separate springs, hooks, etc. When that setup goes, it usually DOES lock up the engine.

ChrisMis
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ChrisMis » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am

So if this spring loaded clutch is indeed broken, why would it cause the engine to stop. I guess what I am asking is what does the spring loaded clutch have to do with the running of the engine?

What about the timing gear? Could that have sheared in some way that would cause it all to go caplooey?

Please realize how new I am to all this (maybe the caplooey discription sealed that) and take me as knowing nothing.

Again, I thank you for your efforts and info.

JD430C
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JD430C » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Hello chris, where in NH are u? i gotta go to New Boston sometime soon, if u are on the way i could stop and take a look at it for u.

andrew
jds- 450B, 450C, 550, 4020, 3140 MFWD, 5200 MFWD

ChrisMis
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ChrisMis » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, that is an offer I'd be more than willing to try. The unfortunate thing is I'm in the Lakes Region, probably 2 hours from New Boston. I appreciate the offer, but have a call in to the traveling repair guy around here. It's Thanksgiving tomorrow and will have to wait out the holiday to proceed.

Another thought though... could it be as simple as a spot of really bad gas? I had just put in about 10 gallons of new gas. What makes me think was this peculiar puff of white "smoke" that puffed from the somewhere in the engine on its final gasp before stopping. I had already turned the key off. Doesn't that usually mean water? I'm going to put some time looking at fuel supply before the big feast tomorrow and check that as well.

Thanks again for the offer, Andrew.