Can pressure washing mess anything up on a crawler?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
kraigthomas
40C crawler
40C crawler

Can pressure washing mess anything up on a crawler?

Post by kraigthomas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Again a 1968 JD450, looks like I'll be doing some work to it & I was wondering if taking the pressure washing to it will cause any problems OR if there is anything specifically I shouldn't wash? Figure it will be messy enough...might as well start as clean as possible.
-Kraig
196? JD450 w/4-n-1 bucket and JD95 backhoe

jdemaris

Re: Can pressure washing mess anything up on a crawler?

Post by jdemaris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 am

kraigthomas wrote:Again a 1968 JD450, looks like I'll be doing some work to it & I was wondering if taking the pressure washing to it will cause any problems OR if there is anything specifically I shouldn't wash? Figure it will be messy enough...might as well start as clean as possible.
Don't do it with the engine running. If you hit the injection pump with cold water when running, you can ruin it fast.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

DO NOT pressure wash the radiator fins, unless you plan on replacing the radiator anyhow.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

ecostruction
40C crawler
40C crawler

Steam Cleaning

Post by ecostruction » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 am

My 350B has been sitting a long time uncovered in a barn. It runs pretty good, but I'm just now starting to bring it back to life. The cover plates over the steering adjustments (under the seat) are missing, or haven't been installed in years. The adjustments are all gummed up and dirty. I was planning on steam cleaning the unit including these steering adjustments. Any harm in that? I need to adjust steering anyway. As a preliminary measure I spayed full strength simple green concentrate on a lot of stuff already around the engine bay, let site, then washed off with garden hose. That worked remarkably well as a first effort.

Just curious if there is a way to "de-gum" the steering adjustment mechanisms without ruining anything.

Thanks,

J

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I just ran into the same thing on my latest acquisition. Someone took the covers off the clutch housings, and it is filthy. I steamed down in them a little bit, but did not overdo it. Make sure the drain plugs are out and clear before you do it, and get all of the water out. I then backed it in the shop and blew both sides until almost dry. Then left in overnight with the ceiling fan running, and the heat turned up a little more.
Lavoy

mjl1369
40C crawler
40C crawler

clutch housing

Post by mjl1369 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Man, to hear you guys gonna put water in a dry clutch housing blows me away! I 'm sittin waitin on parts from a total linkage rustoutmeltdown! I had a few old timers tell me moisture and dry clutches dont mix , Hell I may be wrong but you wont find me doin it its a dry housing and I plan on keepin it dry ! I found for the least mess use a little pb blaster Its an enzyme and wont eat everything up! just my opinion! Mike
mjl1369 1965 350 dozer 1950 ford 8n used daily! various harleys and 3 ford trucks!!!!!

jdemaris

Re: Can pressure washing mess anything up on a crawler?

Post by jdemaris » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 am

kraigthomas wrote:Again a 1968 JD450, looks like I'll be doing some work to it & I was wondering if taking the pressure washing to it will cause any problems OR if there is anything specifically I shouldn't wash? Figure it will be messy enough...might as well start as clean as possible.
We steam/pressure washed all the equipment that came in for repairs - before it came into our shop. And yes, we had many problems from doing it. It forces moisture into places it normally would not get into - especially things like control cables, obscure pivot points, etc. For Deere crawlers - if they got pressure washed - the throttle and winch cables just about always got ruined and would freeze every time it got cold out. At the time it wasn't a big deal, but now with the high prices - I think it is. I woudn't do it to any machine I own unless I had to paint it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 am

Constant immersion in water, or long term exposure to high moisture is what will trash the clutches. I sprayed the internals out, and immediately put the crawler in a heated shop, and blew everything out with air. The crawler is still sitting in the shop, and will be for a couple more weeks I am sure. In these conditions, I don't believe that rusting or fiber disc swelling is an issue.
Lavoy

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Should look into some older 450s and 450Bs in my neck of the woods they have 2 or 3 inches of water or liquid rust in the dry clutch housing for years and still running not well but still able to drive on the float anyway.I hauled a 450 for a neighbour and it actually sat in a shed for most of the winter I checked the steering clutches and pulled the bottom plugs rather quickly they had pulled it into a shop earlyer or It would still be there some of those old John Deeres have seen more than there share of water in that housing .I know it isn't good for the steering clutch but that old 450 had the origional plug painted in so that water was in there for some time . The crawler was well looked after but he never knew to pull a plug till I ripped them out .Don't pressure wash the newer H or J series unless you have a week in a warm shop to dry it out you will have more electrical problems than you can dream of My one 550J is in the shop with more problems then it went in withand still under waranty I think they soaked a electric throttle control senser it won't even start . Digitup.