Diesel fuel lubricity

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:57 am

There were/are a lot of 2 stroke Detroit's in marine applications, not that suprising that they would have it on hand if they are a bigger dealer.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am

I believe West Marine is a national chain- we have some of their stores in the St. Louis, Missouri area.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 am

And the most expensive place to buy anything, as they say , a boat is a hole in the water that you pour cash into. The bigger the hole in the water , the more cash you have to pour in!

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

pburke
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by pburke » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:34 pm

O K. I just read this for the way too many times. Starts out( I think ) talking about diesel fuel and seems to end talking about engine oil? I was told by diesel mechanic years ago to use tranny fluid as additve to fuel. Have done so in 2240 ag tractor for years now with no problem. Use Rotella T engine oil but sounds like I should change. But to what? New to owning dozer (450B) and done a lot to this one to get in better shape. Don't want to do damage by using wrong oil and fuel additive. Repairs are costly as all of you know, even when doing own labor. Can't imagine paying 100$ plus an hour, would have doubled what I gave for it by now. Don't work this machine for living but do work for living. You guys with the knowledge (embarassed at my lack of) need to bottom line it for the rest of us.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:04 am

Doubt you have hurt a thing. If you want to add oil, just get a gallon of TCWIII two stroke oil and add some in.
Lavoy

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:14 am

I don't put anything in my diesels but diesel fuel and proper additives .My neighbor on the farm is a fanatic about everything he has has a Cummins in he shoves a brew of diesel ,used motor oil and canola oil into them .Now he blends on a 60-40 basis in the summer His Dodge pickup and Case tractors get unbelievable fuel economy .He is talking 45-49 miles to the gallon in the old pickup ?My son has been influenced by this to burn canola oil and diesel in a VW pre TDI and this little piece of crap is getting unbelievable economy as well .We use it for a parts runner but it sits inside now as the weather is getting colder so that it will start .I guess my question is IS OUR DIESEL FUEL GETTING SO LOW IN BTU'S THAT WE NEED TO ADD SOME? .I feel if we can created a fuel that would give us some bang for it's buck so what about emissions.These two diesels could easily pass an emissions test when they warm up a bit any way .He spends a lot of time blending his brews but they are paying off in the end .He says canola oil is high in BTU's and this adds power to the diesel fuel are we taking this out of our low sulfur diesel and why this seems strange to me .Now lets make our fuel less powerful and our motor oil less lubricating .This just makes good political sense to me .I noticed the other day more motor oils for older engines .Are we to take it from this most new motor oils are made for low mileage engines only .Digitup.

pburke
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by pburke » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 am

Add two stroke oil to fuel. What about oil, should I change or add something to it also?

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

fuel improvment and spec'd oil

Post by pop pop » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:43 pm

i don't claim to be any authority , but this is what I'M doing,,,
for oil, chevron's delo 100 40weight.
for fuel, get the ulsd as supplied by almost every pump , then add B99, which is 100% bio-diesel , i put 1 gallon of this in 50 gallons of the "pump" diesel so that you end up with a 50 to 1 ratio,

adding the bio increases the lubricity,,,, thats basically replacing the fuel's lubricating properties(called the HHFR factor) that it had when it was a higher sulpher fuel(500ppm sulpher),,,
this mix lubricates the fuel system and is number one on the list of additives, preventing wear on the pump and injectors,,,, as per the spec's listed by that independant study in the first part of this blog.

i myself read about 35 pages of info and called 2 distribution centers,
this is what i gleened from all that info,,,,

now , with all that said,,, here's a note for you guys in the cold country.,,
the B99 mixes well only if it is warmer than the diesel your pouring it into.
your B99 supplier will compensate for this in your area,,,, talk to him,,,, he knows, even if you don't.(especially if your using other additives)..
i happen to live in a big enough rat race city that i have all this in my area,,, (big cities,big problems too)

i foresee the next problem as , the delo 100 is going to be eliminated because it doesn't comply with required EPa regulations,,,, so stock up...

the next "fix" for that is to buy motor-medic oil additive as it still lists its major ingredient as zincdi-bla bla (layman's term), this stuff will probably disappear also.

now as for mfgr's specs. on required oil,,, you'll notice that there has been a big change in new diesels since ~2006,,,,,,,,, that's your first clue,,,
but since we're talking old detroits,,,,, we might as well shove bannana's in the crankcase and run them, it'll spit out what it doesn't need,,, heehee,,,,
to make it simple, oil in the crank, diesel in the tank, and screw everything else...
ok guys, is this clear like mud?

pburke
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by pburke » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Thank you. Probably will change to delo but gonna try to find better deal than west marine. That is 18 bucks a gallon :shock: :cry: . Rotella t is 10.80 where I get it. Got to baby my baby tho. :wink: