Hello I a new comer with a few questions.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Hello I a new comer with a few questions.

Post by moose80cj7 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:54 pm

I just got home with a 450c and I'd like to know how to find out the year model. The next question is what is there under the hood that will blow Hydro fluid? It is dark out and I don't know anything about this thing. Thanks for any help. I guess I'll be on here bugging you guys for all the help I can get if needed. (Got my fingers crossed)
Moose

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:57 pm

You can look up your serial number in crawler faq's this will tell you the year of your crawler and some other specifications including horse power .Try checking the lines to and from the hydraulic cooler[Lower pressure] and your hydraulic lines [high pressure].check your fluid levels in both first what ever one is low should be your leaker but not always .Then check the lines running this is best checked with a dry clean piece of cardboard ,a good pair of gloves and a set of safty glasses on . the hydraulic lines are under considerable pressure so be careful when you are checking them .Digitup.

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 pm

I can only wish it was a line. Come to find out it was the main hydraulic pump in the front under the radiator. I have got it apart almost to the pump. I'm just having a hard time getting the radiator out right now. I've never worked on something like this beast and it is very much a learning experience for me. Thanks for the help I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the future!!
Moose

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:59 am

Well I got the pump out and it was the housing that busted. I welded it up and got it machined and everything looks pretty good. The problem I had when I went to the surplus website was how to know what pump to get. I figure that if my repair does not work that I'll need to get a new pump.
Moose

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 am

Moose you should be able to find a good used pump at a tractor wrecker in your neck of the woods If you cant find or start having difficulty let Lavoy know on here and he should be able to find one or someone that can .There are lots of 450c's being wrecked out there several are just down the road from me .Also there are two different sized pumps for that crawler a standard and a high capacity for when running a backhoe on the back of one .So watch that .Digitup.

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:14 am

OK got an update on my loader. I FINALLY got it back together. Once I got the pump out I took the housing in to work and welded the housing up. I got one of the guys there to machine it back out then got it stress relieved. Well with having a 7 month old I don't get a lot of time to work on it. But, I do have it back together now. I do have a question What kind of Hydro fluid should I put back in it. I lost enough that it is below the sight glass on the reservoir. The manual says to use Hy-Gard and I know from asking JD about the pump I can't afford it right now. Any suggestions on another type of oil? I know I'm sounding really cheap but, since I bought this thing I've almost been in diviorce court. And yes I'll be crossing my fingers and putting some holy water on the pump the first time I fire it up.
Thanks again for any help
Moose

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 am

Any Hygard equivalent will be fine. Deere probably is not that out of line on their pricing, so do some checking around. Any good oil jobber will have an equivalent product, may or may not be any cheaper.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Re: Hello I a new comer with a few questions.

Post by jdemaris » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:22 am

moose80cj7 wrote:I just got home with a 450c and I'd like to know how to find out the year model. The next question is what is there under the hood that will blow Hydro fluid? It is dark out and I don't know anything about this thing. Thanks for any help. I guess I'll be on here bugging you guys for all the help I can get if needed. (Got my fingers crossed)
I doubt it's going to work in the long run if you had to weld the center housing. The Cessna pumps are basically not-repairable and designed to be used up and thrown out when worn. Now, if your pump was in good shape and then the hydraulics got dead-headed - it would split your housing. In that situation only, a repair might be worth it.

Do not buy a pump from Deere. I don't know what is going on, but Deere is charging three times the normal price for the same pump as other tractor companies. Case, IH, Ford, AC, et. al. all use the same Cessna pump. I know a Case dealer right now that sells that same pump new, over the counter from Case, for $392. Surplus Center gets around the same, sometimes less. Deere crawlers use two pump sizes. A 13-18 GPM for dozers with no attachments, and 20-23 GPM pumps for dozers with attachments and all loader machines. The two sizes will not interchange unless you change the drive splined parts since one is 3/4" and the other 7/8".

Here's an email message I got last week from a Case dealer I know that sells a lot of these pumps to Case guys, as well as Deere and Ford.

"John, since we were discussing the Case # d53690 pump I came in to work today and checked our price, We have one in stock always unless we sell out and stock order it 392.31 is our price. A computer note has itat 24 gpm, we sub most earlier pumps to this number so its a popular mover for us "

Pumps like this will work:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?U ... =hydraulic

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:19 pm

I would look for a good used pump as they are easyer to find than most other pumps in the used department .I wouldn't have any luck at welding somthing like that or even geting it done for me so if it springs a leak start looking for used .As for the dog house well my wife has threatened me for 20 years I found that you start by forgeting the small things she talks about then gradually work your way to total neglect .Mind you the Cat salesman had a good idea a while ago when he told me that a new Cat backhoe is still cheaper than allimony :shock: !!. Good luck on both fronts and take my word for the first one only [the pump].Digitup.

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Thank you so much for the info. I have a friend of mine that works for JD and he gave me a great price for that pump at $495. Sounds like a great deal huh? Just kidding. Thank you again for the info and I'll be getting me a new one soon. I just hate getting into something I don't know anything about. I guess you have to learn sometime.
Moose

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am

Well I have her back together and she did real well on Friday. Now the problem I'm having is the starter. Where can I get one without paying an arm and leg for it. Maybe even get it rebuilt. I'm in the Atlanta ga area and any help would be great.
Moose

moose80cj7
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by moose80cj7 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 pm

OK I got a remaned starter today and it seems someone had put the wrong starter in it. The motor was right just the wrong bendex. I fired it up and all is well. Hopefully I will not be back on here about some more problems. Thank you all for the help.
Moose