350C Dozer/corresponding trailer

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jfischer
40C crawler
40C crawler

350C Dozer/corresponding trailer

Post by jfischer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

As a relatively new user, this appears to be a very informative and professional site. It is my intention to find a good 350C 6-way with ROPS, somewhere in Eastern Canada or Northeastern U.S.A. Machinery Trader seems to be my primary research source. What is the width of such a regular-tracked machine? What would be the ideal trailer type and trailer size, ie., length, to haul this dozer using a GM 3/4 HD 4/x4 pickup?
Thanking you, Jim.

jdemaris

Re: 350C Dozer/corresponding trailer

Post by jdemaris » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:07 pm

jfischer wrote:As a relatively new user, this appears to be a very informative and professional site. It is my intention to find a good 350C 6-way with ROPS, somewhere in Eastern Canada or Northeastern U.S.A. Machinery Trader seems to be my primary research source. What is the width of such a regular-tracked machine? What would be the ideal trailer type and trailer size, ie., length, to haul this dozer using a GM 3/4 HD 4/x4 pickup?
Thanking you, Jim.
You're taking about a crawler that weighs around 10,500 lbs. and a trailer that will probably weigh over 3000 lbs. empty, and substantially more if it's a good one. You couldn't pay me enough to pull a 14,000 lbs. load with a 3/4 ton truck unless it was a short distance with no hills. 350C with dozer is 11 feet long, 7'7" tall with ROPS, and blade is 72" wide when straight or 65"when at an angle.

squarede
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by squarede » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I have pulled my 350 around town with my F-250 Superduty knowing full well that I was taking my life in my hands AND risking serious fines from the DOT boys. I don't recommend it.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice to hear form someone as close as Walkerton.By Ontario regulations actually need a One ton to pull that 350 but for years my dad used a 3/4 ton for the job when he couldn't grab the float .I tryed givin him crap and he reminded me that I got cought with a 490D [13 plus ton]on a 12 ton float behind the old dumptruck .Just west of Monkton the MTO pulled me over and when I drove on the portable scales they shifted becouse of the short dubble axle on 12 ton trailers and the fact that the roadside had too much taper .They let me go while picking up the pieces of the wrecked scale .I always used the proper float after that There was a contractor that had a nice float on the other side of the bridge for his 400G.He parked it in there where that welding shop is Is he still in bussiness I think they called him Granny We don't do much work in that area but not far from you .Digitup.

jfischer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Thanking everyone for the input

Post by jfischer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 am

Thank you everyone for the info. I still intend to get that 350C and I will not be carting it around using the described truck as mentionned.
jmf.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 am

Now a word from the Peanut gallery. I hauled a 350B loader on a two axle flat behind a 3/4 ton pickup before, and had no problems at all. I don't have that particular trailer any more, but we got a new another one last year, pretty much same thing, 2-7000lb axles, tripod ramps, and it is used all the time for hauling crawlers including the above mentioned 350.
Lavoy

jfischer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jfischer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Lavoy:
Thank you for the input, however after further investigating, I've decided to stay legal with our pick-up tow/hauling restrictions in this northern country.
jmf.