450B Transmission cooler hose

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

450B Transmission cooler hose

Post by Maynah13 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:16 am

Hi, new member here :)

I picked up a 450B recently that ran well, but still needs a fair amount of work. For example, the only gauges that work are the tach and ammeter. I was using it to clear my driveway from snow when it stopped going forward. Seeing a trail of fluid behind me, I quickly discovered that I'd blown a transmission cooling hose. The lack of a trans temp gauge gave me no warning.

Being the short rubber hose in the return line, where it connects to the transmission, it was nearly inaccessible! I had to remove the battery cable, the brake actuator and the upper hose to get to it. I started to put a new hose on and had a lot of difficulty because the connector is tilted 45 degrees, making the hose kink pretty bad. I believe this is why the hose failed.

So, my question is: Can I use a wrench to turn the connector so that it's straighter? I was afraid of breaking it. I note the the power steering line is attached to the same connector, which doesn't show in the manuals.

I've worked on cars, trucks and a couple of diesel tractors, but this is my first dozer.

Thanks,
Maynah13

Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

Thanks

Post by Maynah13 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks Steve. I already decided not to touch the fitting and I'm making a special hose with a 45 degree bend in it. I'm using a 1/2" copper elbow and a couple of clamps. Image

The power steering return line definitely goes to this fitting.

I noticed that the power steering pump is on the left, not the right, as my manual shows. Maybe the engine has been replaced? my SN is 161244T but the engine is 237218T. It originated at the Canadian Electric company, I was told.

I'll be working on it tomorrow, I hope.

Cheers, Robert

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am

Never seen a setup like that. The port in the fitting usually has a plug in it. All I've ever seen had the pump on the front RH side of the timing cover with reservoir above valve cover. What type of hose are you using? Not heater hose I hope? Steve.

Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

Variations?

Post by Maynah13 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 am

I went to the local NAPA store and they sold me multipurpose hydraulic hose. It matched what was on the supply side, which seems to be just fine.

My steering lines mostly match the parts manual drawings, except for the return line. It probably has to do with having the power steering pump on the left. It's on the front of the engine, just below the exhaust manifold. There's no reservoir, which my manual says is true of later models.

Apparently, there was something major done in the area of the lines, since the trans cooler sender has no wire on it and it looks like everything has been ripped out at some point.

It also looks like it might have been originally painted JD orange.

Robert

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Can you post a picture of the steering pump? Curious to see what it looks like. Steve

Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

PWR Steering Pump

Post by Maynah13 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Will do.

Robert

Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

Oh, two leaks

Post by Maynah13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 am

Steve, my error, the pump is on the right, just under the alternator. I was confused by the photo in the manual, which shows it being removed. I thought it was supposed to be visible, next to the oil filler neck, but you can't really see it unless you look real good.

My wacky hose problem seems like it's because a previous repair reversed the supply and return lines, I think. The top fitting, on the trans case, is the return, because it's where the power steering return line goes. This should go to the bottom of the filter. The output of the clutch pump should goto the oil cooler on the radiator, then to the filter. BTW, this is the line that Tees into the power steering pump. Instead, these are reversed, which puts the metal lines at an angle to the fittings. It still works, but that's why the upper fitting is on an angle. My 45 degree angled hose seems to do the job and will likely last longer, I hope.

This whole issue revealed that I actually had two leaks! I'd noticed a small leak a while ago, but was waiting until spring to diagnose it. Turns out it was the "bleed line" from the power steering pump. It's a yellow plastic line, just visible in my photo. The previous repair had left it crushed under the metal trans cooler lines. I had to cut it to get it out. Does anyone know if this needs to be this plastic or can it be rubber hose? It's non-pressure and just goes back to the trans case.

I also discovered that I have bad seals in the track adjusters, but I'll post that in a new topic. :(

Thanks,
Robert