350 questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

350 questions

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Okay, just brought home my new 350, and noticed a few things.
It has a distinct rattle on shut down, any bets on isolator? Don't really feel like splitting it, what is the harm in running it at least for now?
Might be my imagination, but I swear the injector pump is noisy. It runs great, but it seems like their is noise coming from the pump itself.
Power steering does not work, there was a broken line. I repaired the line, and have oil flow now, but no boost at the cylinders, any ideas?
Lavoy

JD430C
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JD430C » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:08 pm

hi lavoy, JDemaris will be able to tell u for sure, but i believe the only way to bleed them is to work the steering levers. also watch the engine oil level and power steering level, as i have worked on several of those systems, everyone had a worn pump shaft that allowed the oil to pass by the seal.

andrew
jds- 450B, 450C, 550, 4020, 3140 MFWD, 5200 MFWD

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:11 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 16, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:42 am

I was looking for a bleed screw, but couldn't find anything. Once it is steam cleaned, it will be easier to see things.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Re: 350 questions

Post by jdemaris » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:21 am

Lavoy wrote:Okay, just brought home my new 350, and noticed a few things.
It has a distinct rattle on shut down, any bets on isolator?
They had that shut-off rattle even when brand new. Just gets gradually worse over time as the springs stretch, anchors wear, etc. If it were mine, I wouldn't mess with it until it blew apart. If that eventually happens, it's not going to cost any more to fix - i.e. "a stitch in time" does not "save nine" here.

In regard to the power steering, I've never had to bleed one; it ought to do it itself if the pump and linkage is working. Just keep in mind that that power steering is an "add-on" and each power steering unit is self-contained (except for incoming pressure oil). It's the linkage type, and turns itself on an off by sensing movement. If the pins and mounts have gotten real sloppy, it won't be opening up very much and be that much harder to bleed itself out.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:06 pm

John,
This one has a real pronounced knock to it as it shuts off, wasn't sure how bad they can get. I knew they would let go at some point, wasn't sure how far to run it. I probably wouldn't even consider it, but I have an NOS isolator on hand, so no investment as far as that goes. My fear was that it would lay down on me when I am 50 miles from home in the bottom of a hole at somebody's doing a job.
On the steering, I was a little afraid that the pump is shot having been run without oil. It is pumping, there is oil coming out the return, but that does not mean there is pressure there. I couldn't find any reference in the service manual as to pressure testing, pretty much all it said is rebuild the pump. The two straps that hold the boosters are loose. As soon as I get it all steamed off and can see something, I will repair them.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 am

Lavoy wrote:John,
This one has a real pronounced knock to it as it shuts off, wasn't sure how bad they can get.
Is this an early or late 350?. If an early one, it doesn't have an isolator. I just has a spring-dampened clutch disk and pressure plate similar to a non-reverser setup. Just like the 1010s used. They will rattle but just about never leave you stuck somewhere. Serial # 69,744 and up 350s got that awful convoluted spring, anchor, and plate setup. With those, the reverser is also different with a modified input shaft. If you have the later setup, then yeah, it certainly can leave you stuck. Some new ones did just that with only a few hours on them. Deere did a terrible job of engineer those things, and there's lot's of room for error when assembling. The setup should of had a way to lock the outboad spring anchor plates against the flywheel, but there is nothing. All it takes is one to turn a little and you've got problems - and there's always centrifugal force against them, asking them to move out of place. It took Deere a long time to finally give up and change the whole system (with the D series). The D setup is often used to fix all the old 350s, but it requires changing flywheels.
With the power steering, I was thinking they ran 700 - 800 PSI - but I could be wrong. That's a figure that's stuck in my head - and if you look at that little 2 GPM pump, it is not designed to hold any high pressure oil. Not much different than the pumps used on the 420 series.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:21 am

John,
It is a late 350, 117,000 range. The rattle is almost a knock as it shuts down, that is what led me to believe it is getting really bad. I have an NOS isolator on hand, so don't need to make the $700 investment in a new one from Deere.
I need to play with the steering some more, but probably won't worry about it until I get the rest of the stuff fixed.
What is the preferred oil for the power steering, Hy-Gard or equivalent?
Lavoy

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Lavoy wrote:John,
It is a late 350, 117,000 range. The rattle is almost a knock as it shuts down, that is what led me to believe it is getting really bad. I have an NOS isolator on hand, so don't need to make the $700 investment in a new one from Deere.
I need to play with the steering some more, but probably won't worry about it until I get the rest of the stuff fixed.
What is the preferred oil for the power steering, Hy-Gard or equivalent?
Lavoy
In regard to the steering, basically any hydraulic oil works fine. In reality, those setups rarely worked, since most were empty all the time. We had many owners who didn't even know they had power steering and were kind of surprised when we showed them the oil reservoir under the hood. Most times, we'd fill it, it'd work for a few days or weeks, and then run dry again. They were chronic leakers.

In regard to service info for the power steering, Deere had separate books not included in the 350 manual. I have the one Deere book that covers the 2 cylinder hydraulic components on up through the 1010 and 2010 series. But I can't find the other, later Deere tech manual. Deere was always funny about component specs and service and spread the stuff out into many different books. It was OK for a repair shop, but not a very good deal for an owner of one machine who did not want to buy an entire Deere library.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 pm

I don't have the later manual either, will have to look for it.
My brother has power steering on his B model loader, and it works great. I think there were some changes on the B model though, no PS pump if I remember correctly. He redid the linkages a few years ago, and that tightened everything up.
Lavoy