Bi-Metallic or Fiber Disks

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 pm

I don't know if that is a good idea or not to mix them .I wouldn't think so but if I wasn't using it much I think I would still put in the Bi metal ones I got because of the High humidity we live just east of lake Huron always getting heavy dews in the evening in the good weather it's hard on them here that's for sure.Digitup.

panicbutton
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by panicbutton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks for the info! I think I'll go with the metallics, I'm in Florida rain & high humidity is the norm here. Also I'll be doing a lot of work in muck when rebuilding a few spring fed ponds that the dams gave way years ago.
'74 350B LGP, 179ci Diesel

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:04 pm

I have spent time in your neck of the woods and you have more humidity than we have and and a heck of a lot more heat .Plus with lots of swamp to get down in so like jdemaris was saying earlier check your plugs keep them cleaned out and put the plugs in if it looks at all like swamp you can't put them in after the dozer goes down and letting muddy water in is worse than a bit of clean water to clean the housing out .It has been a while since I had anything besides the 40C with dry clutches in it and wow over winter the linkages nearly seized on that old Deere .So I gave it a good run on the weekend and pulled a bunch of tree tops out of the bush to work the clutches and they got limbered up after several hours .It sure doesn't take long sitting for them to seize up. Digitup.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm

PanicButton-

I live in a temperate area of the country, so I also have problems with sticking dry cluthces from time to time. There are some good practices (tying steering levers back during storage, covering the crawler, etc.) that should be followed to minimize chances of sticking dry clutches during storage.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

panicbutton
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by panicbutton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:PanicButton-

I live in a temperate area of the country, so I also have problems with sticking dry cluthces from time to time. There are some good practices (tying steering levers back during storage, covering the crawler, etc.) that should be followed to minimize chances of sticking dry clutches during storage.
Thanks for the info. Does it matter that I have power steering when tying back the steering levers? It would also explain why there were tie down cables to hold back the levers already. The beast is stored in a barn when not in use so it's out of the rain, sort of (another project retinning the roof). It won't get used much this summer as it's about 300 miles away at the farm, and free time is in short supply while my wife is deployed. I do plan on making a few weekend trips after the kids get out of school to work on it.

The next item to get is a good 10 ton gooseneck trailer to haul with. The 7 ton that I borrowed to haul it with a few weeks ago ended up costing me over $1000 for 5 new tires and 2 rims. The person who owns the trailer hauls a 450 on it, but I think it took it toll on the tires..
'74 350B LGP, 179ci Diesel