350C Dozer injector replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Dozerfreak
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C Dozer injector replacement

Post by Dozerfreak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 pm

I am new to this sight and the dozer. Just purchased this dozer and trying to revive it. Previous owner ran it out of fuel and ever since then it's had a miss. I took the tank off thourougly cleaned it and dried it out, cleaned the valve, flushed fuel lines and filter block. Replaced the filter, filled tank with clean fuel. Bled the air out of the filter before letting the return line flow to the tank I disconnected the return line at the tank and ran it to a bucket then started the machine and left the dirty fuel flow to the bucket. After it cleared I hooked up the tank and still have a slight miss usually @ high RPM. Want to replace the fuel injectors next. Any suggestions would be aprreciated. Are there any special tools recommended to do this job????? Would it be recommended to flush out fuel lines after the injection pump before hooking up to new injectors? I am new to all of this and trying my best. Thanks

jdemaris

Re: 350C Dozer injector replacement

Post by jdemaris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 am

Dozerfreak wrote:
After it cleared I hooked up the tank and still have a slight miss usually @ high RPM.
I'd look for other problems before I blamed a high speed miss on an injector. A high speed, no-load miss, that tends to smooth out when actually working the crawler - is usually caused by retarded ignition timing.
A high speed miss that does NOT smooth out under load, and seems to be one particular cylinder skipping, can indeed be an injector, or a big scratch inside the injection pump.

I'd check timing first. I'd also check the injection pump iteself for a failed weight-retainer ring inside the pump - IF - your crawler has the DB/JDB pump and not a model C pump. The latter, model C is small and has a wire with a push-on connector on the side of the pump.

As to pulling injectors. There is a special tool that rarely works. You can buy it from OTC or Navistar, IH, or whatever they are calling themselves these days. International Harvester had a CEO that renamed the place "Navigating the Stars" years back, and it got shortened to "Navistar." They then tried to buy their own IH name back, and failed.

The little pencil injectors often get stuck in the head and nothing will pull them out. Be prepared to possibly ruin them, and maybe even have to pull the head off and drive them out from the inside. They are throw-away, non-rebuildable units anyway. The OTC or IH pulley has two slots that grab the little cut-out in the injector base and it gets hooked to a slide-hammer. You can use two small pry bars and pretty much do as well.