Steering clutch, this can't be right

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mogman
MC crawler
MC crawler

Steering clutch, this can't be right

Post by mogman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am

I got the final off today(350B) and pulled the clutch apart, it was put together just as the exploded view shows. Looking at the clutch basket a friction disk goes in first, but the side facing inward does not touch anything but for the snap ring on the center hub, I have seen allot of these multi disk clutches mostly on motorcycles and have never seen one set up like this, all of the force from the pressure plate is resting on the snap ring on the center hub instead of the back of the basket as I would expect. I would think this would warp the first friction disk and may be why this clutch is slipping as it does not look like it has much wear on the plates.
Craig

mogman
MC crawler
MC crawler

Dumb axx

Post by mogman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 am

Well I guess if I had read down a little I would have had the answer, someone put it together wrong as one disk goes behind the snap ring!!
Craig

panicbutton
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by panicbutton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:05 pm

How long did it take you to remove everything to get to the clutches?

I'm trying to gauge if this is a weekend job, my 350B is 5 hours away and only get to work on it on the weekends, and like to do it in 1 weekend if possible...

Thanks-
'74 350B LGP, 179ci Diesel

dirtguy34
420 crawler
420 crawler

how long?

Post by dirtguy34 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:25 am

With air tools 20 ton and floor jacks, wood blocking 4 and 6", pin driver with sledge ( make sure master pin is at the frt of the frt idler) Don't need to totally drop pan, just loosen enough to get bolts out of final, my brother and I can have it on the ground in an hour. DON'T FOR GET TO LOOSEN BRAKE BAND !!!!! you do need a second person, it makes it a lottttttt easier. But not a wife or girl friend. good luck!