350 B dozer starts but doesn't move forward or reverse

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
joe k
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 B dozer starts but doesn't move forward or reverse

Post by joe k » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Just bought a used 350B dozer. Used it for two days with no problems. All of a sudden the dozer stopped moving forward. Tried all gears also reverse but does not move. When in gear and releasing clutch, it jerks slightly and doesn't move. When letting out clutch slight whining noise is heard around the trans. The PTO spins when engaged and clutch out. Any ideas as to what the problem can be? Am new to dozers but very mechanical. Have no service manual. Must get one. Thanks in advance with any information you can give me. Thanks, Joe

spenceraucoin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by spenceraucoin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:30 pm

mimight try reverser filter could be cloged or bad if you have shuttle shifton the unit . spencer

joe k
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by joe k » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Not sure if the machine has a reverser. What I think is the reverser is the lever on the left side which has reverse, neutral, and forward. Not sure of the year of my dozer. Am new to dozers. Also, where would the filter be located?

Thank you for your information.
Joe K

jdemaris

Re: 350 B dozer starts but doesn't move forward or reverse

Post by jdemaris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:17 am

joe k wrote:Just bought a used 350B dozer. Used it for two days with no problems. All of a sudden the dozer stopped moving forward. Tried all gears also reverse but does not move. When in gear and releasing clutch, it jerks slightly and doesn't move. When letting out clutch slight whining noise is heard around the trans. The PTO spins when engaged and clutch out. Any ideas as to what the problem can be? Am new to dozers but very mechanical. Have no service manual. Must get one. Thanks in advance with any information you can give me. Thanks, Joe
Did you look to see if that PTO keeps turning when you actually try to make the crawler move?

That PTO runs off the output shaft of the reverser. So, if the crawler will not move, and the PTO IS turning at the same time, the problem cannot be the reverser. If the reverser is not transmitting power, the PTO cannot work.

If you are sure the PTO turns in a "no move" situation, the problem has to be in the gear transmission, rear ring and pinion drive, or the steering clutches/final drives. Sheared rivets on the ring gear can do it and might be the first place I'd look for a problem that came on suddenly.

If you find out that your PTO is actually stopping, then I'd suspect a stripped splined coupler between the reverser and trans.

Maynah13
40C crawler
40C crawler

Try this

Post by Maynah13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:38 am

You might check to make sure that you have enough hydraulic fluid.

Robert
450B and 750 w/backhoe

dirtguy34
420 crawler
420 crawler

check for water

Post by dirtguy34 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:49 pm

check both dip sticks on floor of operator compartment, but also check for h2o in units, my mach sat out side for so many years with snow build up and melting, the water ran thru the dip stick holes and the units were full of water not oil !!