Reverser Questions - JD350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
keithh
40C crawler
40C crawler

Reverser Questions - JD350

Post by keithh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 pm

I have a 67 jd350 that we just rebuilt and there is just one problem with the reverser. when cold,. the reverser works fine in reverse and forward. After use, however, reverse continues to work fine but forward gets sluggish and then fails to work.You can put the clutch in , then release, and then forward works. It seems like a pressure or relief valve problem that might be causing the failure. Any ideas on this / thanks / keith
JD350 / JD110 Loader

jdemaris

Re: Reverser Questions - JD350

Post by jdemaris » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:10 am

keithh wrote:I have a 67 jd350 that we just rebuilt and there is just one problem with the reverser. when cold,. the reverser works fine in reverse and forward. After use, however, reverse continues to work fine but forward gets sluggish and then fails to work.You can put the clutch in , then release, and then forward works. It seems like a pressure or relief valve problem that might be causing the failure. Any ideas on this / thanks / keith
It is probably just general wear on everything in the reverser. What you describe is what they do when they'er close to worn out and need a good rebuilt. I've had to fix many like that, and once apart, I'd find the clutch packs and manifold worn out, along with accumlator and linkage parts worn out in the control-valve assembly.

Best thing you can do without pulling the reverser out is this.
Stick a pressure gauge in and see what main pressure is. If less than 120 PSI, try jacking it up to 130 PSI, or even a little higher.

Pull the floor pans off and look closely at the clutch pedal linkage and big return spring. Often that spring has been overstretched and is worn. Also, the metal arm that travels with the clutch pedal that is on the control housing often gets sticks and dirt jammed behind it and does not return all the way back.

Also, in worn machines, especially those that won't lock into forward when hot. Try opening up the rate-of-shift screw. Once you do this, it may make the reverser shift so hard that you'll need to throttle down, or push the clutch in when shifting. But, opening it up can let a charge of oil in faster which might buy you a few more years of use.

There is also a way to remove that entire control housing from the side of the reverser and make some mods. But, that is very diffucult to do, and not worth describing here.

keithh
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keithh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 am

thanks for the info - we'll try it this weekend / keith
JD350 / JD110 Loader