Wet or Dry Steering Brakes & ID #s

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

Wet or Dry Steering Brakes & ID #s

Post by clarence » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am

I have one of those European made 450 crawlers--tank on the left; 4n1 bucket; larger injector; & made in France and Germany serial numbers, much like Kraig Thomas'.

The serial number on the dash which says made in France is E7450-003060CD. The serial number on the back side of the hydraulic/battery box says made in Germany and the serial number is 450AA-174508L. If anybody knows what these numbers mean--I'd sure appreciate knowing about them.

My rig does not have a turbo so I suspect it also has dry steering brakes. That said--how do I distinguish from wet or dry steering brakes? I sure wouldn't want to add hydro fluid to dry type clutches, obviously. Are there some tell tale signs? I have a parts manual and tech manual for a 450C which only shows wet clutches.

Gentlemen, thank you so much for the informative and useful site/blog--the wealth of your colletive knowledge is humbling--thanks again,

Clarence

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 pm

The s/n is probably right seems these units were assembled in France with a mix of components from Germany and obviously some from US as well .See if you can find manuals for a 450A some one on here may have one for any questions you may have .I have a friend with one and his looks to be built in the 450 era though I didn't take as much time I would like to look at it .I did find some things are totally different from a 450 or a 450B.I would say by the looks of things John Deere was trying to make a European crawler with some American content and technology.There are a few people on here that are trying to figure out your machine but with little info on these things it is taking a long time to do so .These aren't as much different as they are rare so you have a good find there for sure.Get us some photos and we should see if there is any undercarriage difference. .Digitup.

clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by clarence » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks Digitup, I'll get you some photos' I really appreciate the assistance--this site is just great. Clarence