450c lube issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

450c lube issue

Post by Craig Peacock » Tue May 12, 2009 2:44 pm

On my 450c located toward the back of the track. There is a large plug mounted on the wall of the dozer houseing. From looking at the maintenance manual, it did not show this. So I assumed it was the fill port for the wet brake assembly. I unscrewed the level plug ( Located on the back side of the houseing) and started to put in 2 plus gallons of 80w90 oil and nothing ever came out.

As I said earlier, my manual does not show this, so I'm at a loss of what this plug is for? Hope someone can help.

Both left and right of the dozer has the same plugs mounted on the side of the houseing, just above the brake assemblies.

Also, its a 1975 450cc dozer.

Thanks in advance.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue May 12, 2009 8:38 pm

i hpoe you did not do a bad thing i dont know of any deere after 1965 that uses 90 wt they all use 303 hyd.
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Craig Peacock » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks, The manual said 80w, I thought that 80w is/was the same as 80w90 lube?

mtubre
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mtubre » Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 am

Thats your final drive it takes hydrolic oil or thay say on older tractors you can put 30w.

Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Craig Peacock » Wed May 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I would like to send a couple of picture that may help to understand where I put the oil into, but for smoe reason I can't figure out how to do this on the message board. If you can supply me an email, I'll send.
Thanks!Image

mtubre
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mtubre » Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 pm

It's a square hole plug on each side of the tractor on round shaped housings. You need to pull the plugs on the bottom of those housings,drain the 80w and fill with 30w or hidrolic oil level with top plugs.

srs_mn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srs_mn » Thu May 14, 2009 2:48 pm

I've attached a copy of your picture with the correct location of the final drive fill/level plug indicated; note that it is on the REAR of the housing - I hope it comes through ok...
The plug on the OUTSIDE of the housing in the angled hole, shown in your first picture (IM002021.jpg), is NOT the correct place to fill the final drive... it is the access point to a set screw that is used to disassemble the final drive pinion.
The correct oil to use in the final drives is JD HyGard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil (J20A) or an equivalent available from any major oil distributor... it is, in fact, the ONLY oil, other than the engine oil in the motor, that is used in the 350 & 450 series machines... in other words you use it for everything.
...on edit: I should add that if you did dump the 80/90 into the wrong hole it most likely ended up in your steering clutch housings... I'd get it out of there if it was mine.
Last edited by srs_mn on Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Craig Peacock » Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what goes in the other fill hole just above the track on the side? Ist there a level hole for that one as well?

Craig

srs_mn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srs_mn » Thu May 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Craig,
I'm far from being a JD expert, but I have owned 4 of them and did all my own work on them... so.... At the risk of totally confusing everything I'll attempt to answer your question;

Here goes: I'm not sure what that other plug(s) is for...

it is possible that, on your machine, it could be used to fill the steering clutch/brake housings, but on my 450C, it wasn't used for anything as the steering clutch housings and transmission had been joined into a common sump and the oil was filled through the transmission filler, and checked with the transmission dipstick. EVERY early 450C that had steering clutch/brake work done on it had this conversion done, since the conversion simply amounted to leaving out the seals between the transmission and the clutch housings when reassembling after overhaul... According to my JD dealer, the seals and other parts weren't even available anymore, so almost all 450C's eventually had common sumps. The later model 450C's came from the factory with common sumps.
I suppose it's possible that your 1975 machine still has the original clutches and brakes, but it's doubtful, so I'm guessing that you have the common sump conversion.
I'm pretty sure there ARE oil level plugs on your clutch housings, and I'd love to go out in the shop and look for the plugs you're wondering about, but I sold my last JD machine 3 years ago and have to rely on my memory, so I could be totally wrong about the whole thing... I recommend you get a shop/tech manual for that 450C... it looks like a really nice machine in the pictures, and the manual would really help you out.
Best of luck, srs in MN

Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Craig Peacock » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 pm

I really appreciate your help with this. I have purchased a couple of manuals, but neither really shows my dozer. This is why i'm hesitant to purchase another manual that won't help me do my repairs.

I trust yor judgement and help with this. I will order a service manual tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Craig (Michigan)

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 am

Craig the only thing that both those holes are used for is adjustment site hole on the flat plug and a shaft lock bolt on the angled one .Both are way to high up to start filling with oil .So I take it your finals are full and you may have 80 w 90 some place you don't want it .That is oil ok in finals in the other area get that heavy oil out a.s.a.p.It won't do anything in behind there any good .And shouldn't do much harm if you take it easy for the first while.Digitup.

Craig Peacock
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Craig Peacock » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks for everyone who’s been helping me with this,. I did drain the final housings before the dozer got started. I installed correct hydraulic fluid that the manual calls out for. My reasoning for changing the fluids was because of a problem I had.

When I got the dozer, the left control function was not working properly. Compared to the right, it didn't have the tension when the lever was moved backward. I thought the problem was a broken spring or it was low on fluid. ( I was wrong). When I pull the left control back, it would jerk the dozer like it was pulled back with all my force. Not gradual like the right side. After working the machine for 20 minutes or do, I loose all my controls for the left side. So once again, I'm at a loss where to go fro here.

I should also mention that we I put the dozer in reverse, the dozer sounds as if it's being put under a load. It will stay straight when backing up, but sounds like it's working hard.

Thanks for all your help!!
Craig

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I think you may find that your steering clutch pack is slipping when it warms up .Don't run it too much before adjustments are made .The 450Cs are strong runners but some times the clutch packs went just that far out of whack that they would heat up and slip after running for a while .Should be no big problem to adjust back up .If you can't get it to stop slipping then It may be clutch pack failure but we won't talk that negative yet .As for the reverser problem binding is not a good thing at all .That could mean disaster quickly .Digitup.