350C LGP Drive issue?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mokyj
40C crawler
40C crawler

350C LGP Drive issue?

Post by mokyj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi, I have a 350C LGP with full cab, and is my first dozer. In good shape, less than 1600 hours. Engine purrs, and starts on a dime. Ran fine for a few days, then the return spring for the main clutch pedal broke. I had a leak in one of the hoses (didn't know at the time), and filled up hydraulic fluids. Then came this issue. At first the dozer did not what to go in either direction (clutched in 1st gear, and used the forward/reverse level back and forth, it started to go, although sluggish and lacking power. After 15 minutes, I had normal use of the machine. Then I blew out a hose to one of the blade cylinders. Replaced that today, and topped of hydraulic fluid again,. and went thru almost the same deal on the drive. This time is would go, but not much power. after 15-20 min, back to normal operation. Both times, I had control of the 6 way, and it would stop if I tried to steer unitl after what I would call a warm up period. In any case this is different from the the first few days of running it.

The f/r drive was not like this when I got the machine. Is it just a matter of flushing out the air in the system, adjustments, or something worse? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Mike
Mike Joyner
5239 Town Line Road,
McGraw, New York 13101
mjoyner@turkey-talk.com  607.753.8420
www.turkey-talk.com
www.joyneroutdoormedia.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Low hyd fluid should have no effect on the shifting of the reverser or power unless I am missing something. Have you check the reverser fluid level and/or changed the fluid and filter?
Lavoy

mokyj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by mokyj » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:15 am

Assuming I have this right (I have a service manual on order), to the right of the consol and located on transmission, there is a post with a screw top, and dipstick attached. (going by the location shown on decal underneath battery cover) OIl level is below the lower of two marks on the dipstick. Decal indicates that the level should be between the two marks.

If I have it right, then my reverser fluid is low. Would it be logical to assume that this would cause the sluggish response until warmed up?

Where to fill? Location of the filter?

Thanks in advance
Mike Joyner
5239 Town Line Road,
McGraw, New York 13101
www.turkey-talk.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 am

Fill through that hole to the top level on the stick. May or may not be the problem, but you still don't want to run it low.
Lavoy

mokyj
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by mokyj » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57 pm

That was the entire problem with the drive, brought ilevel back up, and had full power, no warm up.

The comedy continued, after 20 mins of cleaning up an old logging road, I felt the side my pant leg getting warm. Looked down, and a stream of hot hydraulic fuild coming up at my leg from one of the hard line connectors in the cab by the clutch pedal. Mess everywhere. Tonight I looked it over and all it was was a loose hose clamp around the hose that the hard line fed into, I found out why I was losing reverser fluid. We're good for now, or until I find the next weakest link.

THanks for your help

Mike
Mike Joyner
5239 Town Line Road,
McGraw, New York 13101
www.turkey-talk.com