Increasing Oil Level 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:43 am

KenP wrote: There is still confusion out there and the fog doesn't clear until you hand the guy the pump, throw him your wallet, and ask him to fix it.
Everyone concurs that new parts are not available for each and every part in the pump. . .
There shouldn't be confusion if you ask a shop and they are honest with you about exactly what they can and cannot do.

All parts specific for your pump were discontinuted many years ago (not just "some parts." Happened in the early 80s. But, the C series pumps have some parts in common with D series pumps, so some parts are still available, new. At present, a few Chinese, Italian, and Indian companies are selling a few, newly made parts. Also, some places/shops have new-old-stock parts, and some other shops have box-loads of used parts.

In regard to prices. With any fuel injection pump, obsolete or current - the major part of the repair bill is the labor and cost of mounting the assembled pump onto the pump test stand and running it. A person with experience can take apart and Stanadyne/Roosamaster pump, repair it and reassemble in one hour. Most current pumps need less then $50 in new parts. So, you do the math.

With C-series pumps, you're going to be the victim of "supply and demand." Parts from any source are scrarce and priced accordingly.
Also, keep in mind that with current pumps, many aftermarket parts are being made, and that makes parts-prices cheap.

On the subject of Deere engines being known for fuel leaks into the engine oil - yes that is true. But, basically, it is a reference to Deere engines with DB or JDB pumps and NOT C-series pumps (CDC, CBC, etc.). DB and JDB pumps use dual umbrella shaft-seals that are difficult to install and known for leaking diesel into the crankcase. C-series pumps do not use these seals. They use a convention, usually dual lipped or twin set of conventional oil-seals and they rarely leak unless they are very old and/or have high hours.

teighs
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by teighs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 am

I have a 350 and the oil level has risen about 6 inches while sitting this winter. It has the Airtex lift pump, which I can't take apart. Is there a quick way to tell if it's the lift pump or the injector pump which has leaked by while sitting?

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm

teighs wrote:I have a 350 and the oil level has risen about 6 inches while sitting this winter. It has the Airtex lift pump, which I can't take apart. Is there a quick way to tell if it's the lift pump or the injector pump which has leaked by while sitting?
If you pull the lift pump off, I would think you would be able to tell by looking at the engine-side of it?

My 450 has a plate over that hole and little generic 12v lift pump in its place. Going that route is probably a lot cheaper if it is your lift pump leaking.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:08 am

Kenp.MY experance with disel engine makeing oil is fuel will mix with the oil makeing it thiner and washing out the cylinders. I would look at the fuel injector seat. Coolent will show up on the dip stick as condensation. Hdy oils is a bit harder to find but you would look for inplements being low on hyd oil.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

deleted
No longer posting on JDCrawlers