JD 350B PTO Shaft Assembly

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Smiley
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 350B PTO Shaft Assembly

Post by Smiley » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm thinking about adding a PTO shaft to my 350B for things like a PTO generator. Looking at the manual, it looks easy, and I'm assuming the gearing is already in and the shaft just needs to be added. Does anyone have any experience in putting one on or knowing if this assembly is available to buy?

jdemaris

Re: JD 350B PTO Shaft Assembly

Post by jdemaris » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Smiley wrote:I'm thinking about adding a PTO shaft to my 350B for things like a PTO generator. Looking at the manual, it looks easy, and I'm assuming the gearing is already in and the shaft just needs to be added. Does anyone have any experience in putting one on or knowing if this assembly is available to buy?
I'm not sure trying to run a PTO generator is going to work for you. That is, unless you can find a 525 RPM farm-type PTO setup for your 350. They are scarce. Otherwise, the standard and more common power shaft will run at engine speed which is way to fast for a standard PTO generator. To get 30 horsepower, you'd be spinning that shaft at 2000 RPM. Most PTOs for 350 crawlers are meant for running winches and not much else.
Most PTO generators are 525-545 RPM, and a few larger ones are 1000 RPM. And, with a PTO generator, the speed is critical and must be perfect to get the correct Hertz Cycle of 60.

With your 350, just pull the back cover off (the small cover) and peek in with a flashlight. Most 350s have a splined stub coming out of the transmission that is there to run a PTO. You have to add a splined coupler and shaft assembly. As I said though, the farm-type 525 PTOs with stepped-down gear-boxes are pretty scarce. I suspect if you DO find one, it will be expensive.

If you do NOT find a splined stub sticking out - forget adding any kind of PTO. It's a lost cause.

panicbutton
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by panicbutton » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:27 pm

I've got a pto on mine, it pretty useless unless I'm running a bush hog into places the tractor cant go.
'74 350B LGP, 179ci Diesel

Smiley
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Smiley » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks, it was only a thought.