450 Loader Engine Missing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 Loader Engine Missing

Post by clarence » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Gentlemen,

My Deere 450 is one of those European Imports, as I understand it. The serial plate in the dash says made in France and the serial plate on the body says made in Germany. I suspect it's B series since it's non turbo. Not sure if the clutches are wet or dry.It has always ran very well and I understand the engine had been rebuilt. The Deere dealer mechanic told me the engine was a rebuilt "drop in".

Last week, suddenly it started running rough and became difficult to start without ether--even when it was warm. It still runs but it sporadically and regularly miss fires. When it misses, it's idling normally and then it seems like it's getting an extra shot of fuel which increases the idle speed for a second or two then it runs normally until the next time it misses some moments later.

I've check all the obvious: the fuel is clean, fuel filter is new, air filter is clean and no leaks around the fuel delivery system. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? I can provide a sound recording if doing so would be helpful.

Thank you so much--you guys are the best, Clarence

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Clarance check your fuel filters and fuel lines also the screen into line from tank and into injector pump in the fuel line .You will find two little screens check these and clean them .Make sure you have clean consistent fuel at all times don't be afraid to filter fuel before it hits the machine . Remember the age old saying on the fuel caps Buy clean fuel and keep it clean .Today's fuel and its additives are even worse for lifting and carrying dirt and lifting rust to carry and jam it into your system so change filters often .This week we had a new Cat backhoe starved for power and it would run then quit we changed all filters and checked and changed all filters and screens a second time .It still ran like a piece of crap so I figured the fuel pump was shot I took it off the motor and headed back to the shop calling it every name in in the swear book and threatening to throw it out the window .When I opened up the manual pump I noticed a screw holding a round plate in place on top of the pump sure as heck there was a screen inside the pump bunged solid with a jelly like smear across it .I cleaned the screen and pump and reinstalled the pump and she is purring like a pussy CAT again .Your motor is a heck of a lot older than this one but some where there is blockage in the fuel system and you have to have enough patience to find it .I ran out of patience several years ago and haven't found any at the right price since .Digitup.

clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by clarence » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks digit, I'll check those screens and other parts of the fuel delivery system more closely. Thanks again for all of your sound advise to all of us who are constantly seeking it. Clarence