450 Engine Missing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 Engine Missing

Post by clarence » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:00 am

Gentlemen,

My 450 engine is still missing. Fuel and fuel tank are clean. New fuel transfer pump and fuel filter. The only things remaining to repair or replace are the fuel injector pump and injectors. It's hard starting and it starts missing only after it's warm. This missing problem started all at once--not gradually.

Unfortunately, this loader one of those European 450s so the injector pump is different than most--made in England, no parts available. If it's the injector pump, I'll have to buy a rebuilt one. I don't believe it's a 450C even though the decal says it is--it's a non turbo and I think the clutches are the dry type.

I've attached a youtube video link of the engine running and missing. It starts missing after it's warm at about 2 minutes into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkTvjGPmA8

I tried Digitup's suggestions to no avail. If anyone knows what might be causing it to miss, I could sure use your suggestions. If not, does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt injection pump and or injector parts?

Thanks for all of your sage advice, Clarence

mark 111111
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by mark 111111 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:58 am

Hello Clarence,

The engine is not a 450C, however the pump is a Stanadyne Roosamaster.

Check the US ebay site & you will find both the rebuild kit for the pump & new pencil injectors at a good price.

Search the John Deere parts site for what I assume is the 450B engine for the part numbers. I think you will find a pump or two if you can correctly identify yours.

I purchased my parts from user "mylexint" they supplied the correct copy of the injector pump manual to boot.

If you are rebuilding the pump I would recommend that you use the solid backed retainer carrier which eliminates the nortorious flexring that disindegrates within your pump & starts to block fuel supply.

Like you I am not based in the USA & have found support to questions somewhat lacking.

Hope this helps.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:07 pm

Check your fuel line screens at the tank and the injector pump clean them both before you even look at the injector pump Digitup.

clarence
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 Missing

Post by clarence » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Mark & Digitup,

Back in town--sorry about the late reply. Thank you so much useful information--it is very much appreciated. I'll try your suggestions for sure. You guys on JDCrawlers are the best--I hope that I can reciprocate the help that you all so generously provide.

Clarence

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm

I may have missed some of the discussion, but have you checked your fuel lines? I've seen the steel lines crack/split (on mine, under the seat).Check for a loose clamp or a rotting rubber connection tube which will let the engine suck a bit of air causing it to skip. A loose hold down can rub through the line too. This is a relatively cheap fix and an easy check before getting into the expensive parts. Good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Dane
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dane » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:24 am

If it has dry clutches it is not a 450C.

JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by JD-thomas » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:24 pm

I am in the same boat as you sounds like, I have a machine just like yours that I just bought and am waiting to be delivered. It is a french machine so please if you find a service manual on yours let me know.. I am sure wanting one for mine. I was told mine is a "C" model to but nothing looks like it... I has no tank behind the seat and on mine the seat rotates 180 degrees so you can run the backhoe from the same seat. I have to say I hope to get mine looking like yours one day... Nice machine..Thomas
John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:10 pm

o.
Last edited by digitup2 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:51 pm

JD-thomas where are you getting the C from if it is a C model .I hope it is not the serial number plate.that could be injector not pump have you had the injectors checked and cleaned on this unit .Digitup.

JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by JD-thomas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:27 am

The machine I have I bought from a guy in Charlotte NC he said he bought it 22 years ago from a company in Charlotte. He said they at the time had 20 of these machines that had been shipped back over from France they all had backhoes with no ROPS.... He said that guy that owned them built ROPS for them and gave them a dupont overhaul, and was selling them as "C" machines all the paper work and receipts showed a C machine .... So I am not sure what it is I just wanna figure out where I can get parts, and what will interchange. I will know more when I get the machine home. But watching the video that Clarence has posted his machine is exactly like the one I bought.. No tank behind the seat, seat that will rotate...
John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer