450B water in exhaust?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mulerider
40C crawler
40C crawler

450B water in exhaust?

Post by Mulerider » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 pm

The scenario: we lose water quickly while operating, but it is not visible as to where it's going....and if you top the radiator off while shutdown and cool, and wait 30 minutes or more...fire it up, and you will see water (maybe 8 ounces?) spew from the exhaust, both at the hood junction, and out the pipe (which exits above the cab). But just briefly...

And if you start the engine (cold), and add water, you see pulsation in the water as it get to full, and if the rpm is above idle, it will "erupt" out of the radiator (but engine barely getting warm).

But no water in the oil! Water jacket erosion I suppose, but in the head, or does the turbo use any water for cooling? (I was thinking oil-only in the turbo)

I believe the radiator is rated at 4 gals capacity, and we can lose 2 gallons in 30 minutes of operation (and since the temp gauge is currently inoperative, it's even scarier).

Thanks for any thoughts on the issue.

Greg

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but everything you have said leads to a head gasket and or crack in the water passages of the cylinder head.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

water in exhaust

Post by RANDY Fay » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 pm

It could be a head gasket or head---but my guess would be cavation has bored a pinhole in the sleeve have fun Randy

Mulerider
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mulerider » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

I was not thinking head gasket, due to water not reaching the oil. But if in the head, it would still be have a path via an open exhaust valve..unless I was just "lucky" :roll: every time I shut it down.

Randy: what sleeve are you referring to?

Thanks

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

water in exhaust

Post by RANDY Fay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 am

One of the sleeves the pistons are in--it is a common problem with these engs. and what you have said yours is doing--i'm quite sure that is the problem have fun Randy

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm

I wasn't thinking to well last night,randy probably has your problem nailed,sleeve corroding through happens alot with those engines.

randy is refering to the cylinder sleeves of the engine,they are known to
get pin holes through to the coolant,creating what you are saying.

Mulerider
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mulerider » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Now I was hoping ya'll wouldn't say the referenced "sleeve" was a cylindler liner :cry:
But how come I am not seeing water in the oil? Or maybe I will the next time I pull the dipstick...

I was planning on bad news, but this is BAD news.