JD450C Filters and Screen question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Flatheadyoungin
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450C Filters and Screen question

Post by Flatheadyoungin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 am

I bought this 450C. It wouldn't hardly back up some times, almost like the clutches were slipping.

I got to reading here and there, bought the service manuals and wound up replacing the spin on filter behind the radiator. I also replaced the filter in the hyd. tank (it had ruptured and split the side- the filters spot welds failed and had let loose) That fixed. It pulls up a mountain now without "slipping."

I've read in the manual about the screen in the transmission. It has an up close pic of what it should look like but not a general area where it is located. I asked the deere dealer and he said to skinny under it and it should be near the rear of the maching. While I was waiting for the oil to drain, I spent quite a bit of time looking. I never did see it.

I'd like to know a general area of where this is located. I'm sure no one has cleaned it in years. Right now the dozer is covered in mud out to the property. I'd like to pressure wash it all off and that would help me find it. However, it's in a location that makes it difficult.

Does anyone know where it might be?

I know about the air filters, the hyd. filter in the tank and behind the radiator, can't find the trans screen, are there any other filters I should clean/check?

trey516
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by trey516 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 pm

The trans filter screen is on the right side if you are sitting on the dozer. It has a round cover with three bolts holding it in. If you get down and look between the tracks right across from the big track spring it is on the side of the transmission. I just finished painting and restoring a 450c I learned alot about them considering I knew nothing at first.

Flatheadyoungin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flatheadyoungin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 pm

thanks for replying.....i'll certainly look........

i just cleaned the mud from the undercarriage a few hours ago, but i didn't pay any attention......