JD 350 track frame to front cross member gap?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 350 track frame to front cross member gap?

Post by mc_mike » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Working on my 350c getting ready to put the rollers on the track frame, there appears to be a gap of 1/8" from the front cross member to the track frame while jacked up. The bolts are tight and the bushings are there, am I missing something? Should I machine the bushings down and make this a tight fit? Hopefully someone on here understands my question.

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Track Frames

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 pm

We run 2 350C widepad loaders equiped with hoes and have been doing so for 30 years. When we do a rebuild drill and tap the track frame to accept the largest bolt that will fit thru the cross member, therefore we do not use the bushings. The track frame must be 100% tight to the cross member. If not, the bolts will break and can lead to more serious issues. We even go a few steps further, you will need to decide if you application warrants it. We use to have to rebuild the cross members and track frames in our machines every 2 years and did so for the first 10 years of operation. Now we,

1. Install the larger bolts as mentioned above, from the top and side.
2. Weld round bar across the bolt heads to keep them from coming out
3. Weld the cross members to the track frame.

Since doing this we have never had to cross member / track frame issues other than actually breaking the cross members. The cross members on widepads are laminated and the laminations will separate after many years of hard service.

We go over our machines atleast once a month and check for broken bolts. If you run them with broken bolts you can end up breaking frame sections, reversers and/or transmissions, very costly if you don't have parts on hand.

Good luck
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

There should be a very small gap if it has the JD bushings installed, but like Jason says these get worn and make the gap larger over time, then it eggs out the cross-member and breaks the bolts. You can weld the bar to the frame, but you run the chance of breaking the bar. The OEM set up lets it walk a little bit to relive the shock load.