1975-76? 450b, no steering at all

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
travis
MC crawler
MC crawler

1975-76? 450b, no steering at all

Post by travis » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm new to the site and to this type of dozer. We just picked it up cheap from a guy who shouldn't have been allowed to own what could have been a nice machine. More bolts are broke off than those that are left, and most that are left aren't correct (just sharing frustration). Any how, the left brake will drag, the right does nothing, I've adjusted the lever throw as close to the tech manual instructions as I can and no difference. There is some pressure at the power steering diverter valve so I'm guessing that the clutches are froze. The machine sat for a few years and there is much rust in the clutch housing but no water. My questions are: 1) Is it truly safe to just put the blade into something that won't move and just work the crap out it until they start to free up like I've read a few times on this site?, 2) How can I be sure my throw out shaft/bearing is disengaging the pressure plate? Should I tighten the adjustment screw all the way in to where the throw out shaft won't come any further?, 3) The motor does not have any mounts closer to the front of the unit than the ones on the front cross bar, are there supposed to be another set closer the front and if so where? 4) Can I soak the clutches in kerosene or will that ruin the friction disks? There seem to be a lot of extremely knowledgeable folks on this forum, I'm hoping one of you guys has a bunch of time into this model unit. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Travis, if the clutches are dry clutches, DO NOT PUT ANY TYPE OF OIL IN THERE
Pushing against an immovable object will break loose the clutches if they are not too badly rusted, I just did that with a 430 that a buddy bought here three weeks ago.
Do not ram with it just push with the opposite sides steering clutch disengaged also. use enough throttle to keep the engine from stalling.
It took me about ten minutes to get the clutches freed up on the 430. we loaded it and took it to his house where he is having a ball with it. I told him to join here but I have not seen his screen name as of yet.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

travis
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by travis » Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm

I sure appreciate the response Dan and it makes me feel quite a bit better hearing that you've actually done this and it works. It makes sense I suppose but I sure didn't want to go off half stupid and break something. I guess my main concern now is the front motor mounts, or lack there of. When you shuttle from forward to reverse you can easily see the engine bob up and down quite a bit between the frame rails. I don't think that's natural and if I'm torquing it a lot trying to get the clutches freed up I wonder if I my snap something?