Engine Removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Engine Removal

Post by cdunn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 pm

I need to remove the engine from a parts machine, a 350 loader(straight), to install in another machine ( a dozer). Is this usually done with or without removing the loader assembly (bucket, lift arms ect.). I have limited shop overhead space, not enough to raise the bucket high enough to work under the arms. Is it difficult to remove the pins from the lift arms so I can leave the bucket, lift arms, cylinders ect. outside. I'm not worried about reinstalling the loader on the machine as the undercarriage is completely shot and I'm planning to part it out if anything is worth it. The engine was swapped recently and is in good condition. What is involved in removing these pins. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

splam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by splam » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I am no expert by any means but I just finished putting chains and sprockets on a 350 loader. One of the other things I needed to repair was all the bolts were broke off on the caps that hold the rear cross bar. In order to get the broken bolts out of the castings which hold the cross bar I had to remove the castings. They bolt to the main frame of the dozer and the pin which is about 2" around which holds the loader goes through them. I ended up torching the pins out because I could not get them to move. There is not enough room to drive them through they must be pulled out toward the outside of the dozer. I think the center is supposed to be threaded so you could thread a puller into them for removal. If you are carefull with the torch you can just cut the pin. It looks to me like it would be a lot easier to pull the motor without the bucket and arms in the way.

Good luck.