JD350 straight 1970(I think )

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD350 straight 1970(I think )

Post by Patrick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:54 pm

This thing has been on the back burner for awhile. It had injecter pump problems. We got those fixed but the motor needs a complete rebuild. We have it apart but this thing was really abused. I came across a motor from a jd380 forklift that looks the same, but what do I need to know to be sure.

Pat

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:38 pm

I went to look at this motor and it ended up in the back of my truck for the ride home. Hopefully it works. It had the same block numbers, and unless Im missing something there was nothing differnt in the parts listing execpt the timming cover and the rear engine plate. Hope there wont be any problems swaping those. The motor didnt even have any oil seepage from any gasket or seal. When the seller was writing out a bill of sale he said it should fire right up because he had a complete overhaul done just before he blew out the tranny on his fork truck.

Can any of you guys think of anything to watch out for, or any tips.

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:38 pm

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Wed May 29, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:04 am

The original engine did have the c pump. The injection pump on the newer engine is different.

Does this mean Im not going to be able to mount my powersteering pump

Pat

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 am

Everything was the same under the timing cover. The cover bolted right up. Im going to have to order some new gaskets

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 am

Where can I go for gaskets? Wolud like to get them by the week end. Might be to late though.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 am

Your local Deere dealer can get them for you next day.
Lavoy

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for the advice on going through the dealer.

I didnt think of our local dealer because they are only consumer sales and service. Wasn't a problem.

Gaskets should be here today.

Should be able to get most of it together this weekend. In between breaks from haying, now that it has quit raining.

Pat

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:25 am

What are my options with this isolator.

It looks to be in good shape except the the material that contacts the flywheel is coming unbonded. From doing a search on this it looks to be a commen problem, and expensive to fix.

Pat

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Patrick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:55 am

One problem solved another one encountered.

On the new engine, the drive shaft for the tach on the end of the camsaft has a gear machined into it. The original was just a smooth shaft with a slot in it. Can I just pull the shaft off the newer engine and not replace it. I dont have a tach. My dad and I some how managed to put the shaft out of round when we pulled the shaft from the old engine that sucker was really in there.

The diameter of the shaft that is in the new motor is larger than the old. This is the problem. The rear engine plate will slide on, but the hole in the the plate isnt large enough. It is close, but it would rub.

So long story short. Do I need to order a new shaft? Or can I drill the hole in the rear engine plate to the same diameter as the hole that came on the motors original plate.

Pat

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Lavoy wrote:Your local Deere dealer can get them for you next day.
Lavoy
My trouble J D dealer in nm cant help me at all with parts. Dealer says DJ will not give them parts he said he wished they could get the parts. I have to go through Pvt equiptment contractor and they where 3 times what I paid for steering clutch set. Im asking alot of question on my 350 . So the web I uses takes me to N M Dealer after I log in with pass word and 15 minutes later they cant help me.
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 pm

I probably should have qualified my statement by saying that your local dealer "should" be able to help you. I get several calls a week for OEM Deere parts because someone's local dealer is too lazy, too expensive, too stupid, too whatever to be bothered to sell parts to the average guy. I truly do not understand the mentality unless they have every parts guy on the phone non-stop 7 days a week on other stuff.
I had one customer call me on a part that his local dealer told him that "They did not have time to look up parts, find the number himself and call back." It took me all of 3 minutes to get him all of the info, just pathetic.
Lavoy

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD 350

Post by Patrick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:22 pm

It really can be infuriating dealing with people. My local dealer only sells lawn mowers and compacts, but they have been able so far to order me anything I have asked for. And It really does only take seconds. I work in a service orintated business and at the very least being nice is part of doing buisness.

update

I bought a new tach driveshaft it was only about 25 bucks. The motor is all buttoned up completely assembled. Looks more like a stationary engine. I have some mounts fabed and it is bolted to a pallet. Only thing now is the isolator.

Patrick
420 crawler
420 crawler

1970 JD 350

Post by Patrick » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 pm

I got my motor in yesterday ran it for about 5 min then realized I didnt tighten the fan. It had been a few mounths since I even looked at it. No harm done. The motor started right up and ran really good. When I shut it down it kept running. I shut off the fuel petcock and my dad put his hand over the breather. Today fixed all the issues from yesterday and started it back up fired right up again. The motor shuts down now when I kill the power to the injection pump so it might have been possibly stuck? I dont know but it works now. Here is my problem after running engine for 15- 20min It started to blow oil out of the rear cylinder exhaust, I know this because I pulled the manifold. We ran it for 5 min like this and then it started the same on the middle. Engine is still running smooth and starts with the tap of the starter. As a refresh on the background the engine came from a 380 fork truck and supposedly had had a rebuild before its transmission went bad. I saw no signs to dought this. Looked like all new gaskets and main seals, no leaks or drips. a really clean engine. I swapped the timing cover and the rear enigne plate also the oil pan, put in new oil, new oil and fuel filters. I was also told the engine had been sitting for a few years inside a shop building.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, any help would be greatly appreaciated.

On the good side it steers really good in both directions the clutch feels great, as do the brakes. The reverser works good as well.

Thank you

Pat

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Maybe valve stem seals?
Lavoy