350b brake noise

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Davey
MC crawler
MC crawler

350b brake noise

Post by Davey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:11 pm

I just replace both steering clutches and followed the adjustment in the manual to the T and the dozer steers and brakes fine until about 15 min. into use It starts to get a loud noise coming from my right brake. With the inspection cover off I notice when I move in reverse the brake band wants to tighten up and grab. I've backed the brake band bolt off 2 detents and it seems to help but doesn't stop it from heating up and making loud sqeaks. I'm not sure where to go from here?

-Davey

Bugs
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B brake grabing

Post by Bugs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 pm

You have changed the steering clutches, but did you change the brake band? Did you replace bearings and pinion shaft seals? My 350B had a drive pinion shaft bearing go bad, thus damaging the oil seals. This let oil into the steering clutch compartment and soaked the brake band. The steering clutch worked fine, steered fine and did not slip, but the brake band was soaked with oil causing it to grab and chatter. Even If you changed the band, remove drain plug in the steering clutch compartment and check for oil. Was the brake drum shinny and not gaulded?