I was adjusting the steering clutchs on my 450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

I was adjusting the steering clutchs on my 450

Post by tjdub » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I just got this 450 and am in the processes of adjusting everything and changing all the fluids. I went through the service manual instructions for adjusting the steering clutches and SLIP dropped my 9/16" wrench down in the housing. After swearing a bit, I went to borrow my nieghbor's grabber tool and got it out after a few minutes. Worked for a bit longer and SLIP dropped it down there again. This time it took MANY attempts to get it out with the grabber (glad I didn't return it right away). Whew, got that side adjusted and started on the other. Loosened everything up and went to consult the manual and when I look back I can only find one 9/16" wrench! Cussing, cussing, and more cussing and I shine my light down in the housing and sure enough, there's my wrench. Right-hand side is a lot tighter, but after several minutes I get the wrench out. HEY THIS ISN'T EVEN MY WRENCH! Yeah, there's mine sitting on the floor panel. I think the service manual should list "velcro wrist strap for wrenches" as standard equipment for this adjustment.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:41 pm

LOL I would have tied a stirng to the wrench after the second loss.

Here I thought you were going to ask how to get the wrench out. I was going to be snide and tell you simple! Turn the tractor upside down and give it a good shake! You would be surprised what will fall out, Grin, ok you need to be superman to do the last part.

LOL Image
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:46 am

TJDub-

You might find this older post interesting, especially Digitup's comments about how many wrenches he found in the bottom of a steering clutch housing! :lol:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ost+wrench
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:30 am

Willyr wrote:LOL I would have tied a stirng to the wrench after the second loss.
Hehe. I didn't have any string handy, but after that I was holding those wrenches so tightly that my knuckles turned white :)

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am

Tigerhaze wrote: You might find this older post interesting, especially Digitup's comments about how many wrenches he found in the bottom of a steering clutch housing! :lol:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ost+wrench
That's great. I pictured a guy running to the store to buy more wrenches.