450 steering questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JD450loader
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 steering questions

Post by JD450loader » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 am

Ok first my left side steering clutch housing had been filled with gear oil at one time i got the majority of it out but this side steers better???? anyways the left side got out of adjustment so i took all the covers off and did the sequence of adjusting that the service maual states, now my left side steering is almost rubbery feeling but steers amazing and the right side is really tight feeling and doesnt steer well unless you really pull on it does anyone have any ideas?? If i can loosing a certain adjustment to get the right side steering good again. Thanks JJ

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:59 am

It sounds to me like you may have over-tighted the brake actuator screw on the right side. I would start over with the process on the right side and try again. Maybe you had the brake band cranked up too tight when adjusting the top? If you're hitting the brake before the clutch is fully disengaged, it will not steer well and feel really tight.

Or maybe the housing is getting too full of wrenches and it's binding up :)

JD450loader
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JD450loader » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Lol about the wrench deal i did drop a wrench in the housing... I will try the adjusting process again i might of got something off i was starting to get a bit hot