450B track has no drive

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Chasman50
MC crawler
MC crawler

450B track has no drive

Post by Chasman50 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I have a 450BC that all of the sudden the right track has no power to it. I split the track, removed the drive shaft, pinion shaft and clutch assy. I found no broken parts, pieces or anything else to suggest that there was something wrong. The steering clutch did stop the track to make a right hand turn, although when I let go of the lever and tried to make a left turn, there was no power to the right track. I looked in my service manual, and could find no reason there either for the problem I have. I took the steering clutch/brake apart & checked the disks & plates: no major wear or heat spots on them. Now looking at a parts blow-up, it could be the bearing housing for that side.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chas

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Did you have enough freeplay on that side so the throwout bearing was not against the pressure plate fingers?
Possibly a broken spring in the pressure plate? Just a couple quick things I thought of.
Lavoy

Chasman50
MC crawler
MC crawler

pressure plate

Post by Chasman50 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Yup, I had the entire right side apart down to the ring gear. I only got as far as taking the cover off the left side to compare, and noticed a slight differance in wear between left & right. With the right clutch out of the machine, I reinstalled the pinion shaft and tried to turn it. It was solid. The throw-out brg is good, release springs & fingers have minimal wear along with the friction and steel plates. Linkage movement was normal. I can't imagine any water causing this effect. I hate to get a new pressure plate if the old one is still working properly.

I guess I'll put it all back together and get a total comparison then.

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:12 am

I'm currently working on a similar problem. I found that the vertical shaft that twists the throwout bearing fork was contaminated by abrasive grit, mostly at its lower pivot. Combined with a broken return spring on the bottom of the same fork, this vertical clutch actuator rod was unable to return to a normal drive position after it had been actuated. If this were the case I would think you would have noticed it while removing the clutch/brake pack.

Ralph
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Chasman50
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Chasman50 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah, the system on our crawler is all moving. when the clutch brakes were replaced, all moving parts were reassembled with anti-sieze.

Chasman50
MC crawler
MC crawler

Drive problem solved

Post by Chasman50 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 pm

I put the machine all back together, and it worked fine for about 10 mins, then again no power to the right track. :x I took it back apart, and removed the pressure plate. I found that "Six States Distributors" in SLC, UT. can rebuild them for a decent price. I should have mine back, rebuilt by Thursday, 9-2-10. :D

Heck of a deal !