I pulled the trigger on a 2000 JD450B yesterday!

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: I pulled the trigger on a 2000 JD450B yesterday!

Post by Al Swearengen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:
Jack-the-Ripper wrote:
You will find the rails awkward to move; I found my Case 580 backhoe very handy. You could probably heft them by hand with the help of a couple of friends, particularly if sliding them on plywood rather than dirt. Its gonna be hard and dangerous unloading and uncoiling the new ones. (How do other people do this?)
I used my 8N tractor with boom in the past, but inefficient and dangerous because hard to maneever tracks in tight spaces and a little too heavy for that tractor. I know use my Bobcat skid steer as a lot easier to maneuver and have the bucket to raise.

I have also moved tracks by hand, but because of weight you have to pull a couple links upm at a time and "snake" it across the ground. i don't recommend that :)
Thankfully, I have a little B7800 Kubota with a Woods backhoe that should be a backsaver with this task!

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: replacing tracks on 450

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:33 pm

DBCSteve wrote:
Since the original poster is from the great Central Valley (me too), I got a great price on Berco rails, pads, bolts and sprockets from their Woodland office.
Steve, do you have an website or contact number for these folks? I did a search and came up empty for Berco in Woodland.

Thanks!

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Berco dealer

Post by DBCSteve » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Al -- sorry -- my mistake. It is Industrial Tractor Parts, 281 North Pioneer Avenue, Woodland 95776-8609. The guy I worked with is Buddy Vance, 530-661-4803. ITP has dealers in other states, and it was handy to find that I could get Berco undercarriage parts at competitive prices just 12 miles from my house (although 90 miles from my 450C).

How did I find this place? A recommendation from Pape Machinery in Sacramento (yellow Deere dealer) who said they had the best deal on new tracks.

Steve
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Berco dealer

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:30 pm

DBCSteve wrote:Al -- sorry -- my mistake. It is Industrial Tractor Parts, 281 North Pioneer Avenue, Woodland 95776-8609. The guy I worked with is Buddy Vance, 530-661-4803. ITP has dealers in other states, and it was handy to find that I could get Berco undercarriage parts at competitive prices just 12 miles from my house (although 90 miles from my 450C).

How did I find this place? A recommendation from Pape Machinery in Sacramento (yellow Deere dealer) who said they had the best deal on new tracks.

Steve
Awesome news Steve! Thank you SOOOO much!

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:19 am

DBCSteve wrote:Al -- sorry -- my mistake. It is Industrial Tractor Parts, 281 North Pioneer Avenue, Woodland 95776-8609. The guy I worked with is Buddy Vance, 530-661-4803. ITP has dealers in other states, and it was handy to find that I could get Berco undercarriage parts at competitive prices just 12 miles from my house (although 90 miles from my 450C).

Steve
Steve, did you get the SALT or dry tracks for your machine? I contacted them and the price for Berco dry rails was MUCH cheaper, and was told the only difference was the SALT tracks were quieter.

Anybody else wanna way in on SALT v. Dry? 8)

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Al Swearengen wrote: I contacted them and the price for Berco dry rails was MUCH cheaper, and was told the only difference was the SALT tracks were quieter.

If it was only because they were quieter, they wouldn't cost so much more. SALT chains last longer (generally). They only last as long as the weakest link does though :) It's probably a safe assumption that you're getting what you pay for with either SALT or dry chains. If your going to be using your current pads on the new chain, you might want to consider how long those will last.

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

dry vs SALT chains

Post by DBCSteve » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Al -- I bought the standard dry-pin chains. I probably will use my 450C about 100 hours a year, so cost was a factor. I will probably have to replace the chains in 2035. My old sprockets were shot as were the pin bushings (and the idlers were fully extended on the track frames with sagging tracks), thus the full track replacement.

One other factor was new pads. I could have built up the grousers on my old pads but they used 1/2 bolts and I got a good deal on new pads and the now-fairly-common 9/16 bolts. The bolt size has to match the hole diameter in the chains. ITP also provided free track assembly, which would have taken this shade tree mechanic a good part of a day. Probably two days if beer is nearby.

Steve :lol:
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: I pulled the trigger on a 2000 JD450B yesterday!

Post by DBCSteve » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:I have also moved tracks by hand, but because of weight you have to pull a couple links upm at a time and "snake" it across the ground. i don't recommend that :)
On the first side of my track replacement (with fully assembled tracks, not just the chains), we used the 580K to pull the tracks in place, then shoved 'em over with the bucket. On the second side we just used pry bars to move the tracks over under the dozer. The pry bar was actually faster and more accurate, but we also had the advantage of soft dry dirt.
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: dry vs SALT chains

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:41 pm

DBCSteve wrote: this shade tree mechanic a good part of a day. Probably two days if beer is nearby. :lol:
I just happen to have plenty of shade and plenty of beer...and you sound like you are a little bored lately... :D

I think I will go with the dry rails too...seems I can get the rails, sprockets, and hardware for about $2800 from the good fellows you recommended.

Now, about that beer...

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 am

Al Swearengen wrote:
See Digitup's responses in these posts- he is a commercial user of crawlers so I would put a lot of weight into his opinion.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=salt

(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 am

Tigerhaze wrote:
Al Swearengen wrote:
See Digitup's responses in these posts- he is a commercial user of crawlers so I would put a lot of weight into his opinion.

Good info and thank you for looking that up for me! I did a few searches but did not find those!

Decisions, decisions. The way the gov. is now, maybe I should throw the extra buck before it's worn worse than my rails!

I DO like the thought of a master link that won't need to be pounded in!

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

This is probably a dumb question but...

Post by Al Swearengen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Understanding that the tensioner is under high pressure, after I relieve this pressure and go to reassemble and adjust the tension, will a regular grease gun be able to pump it up enough?

Does this take a special, higher pressure grease gun?

Sorry, rookie here!

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

tensioner pressure

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 am

When just sitting, the tensioner only has enough pressure to resist the weight of the sagging top of the tracks. A normal grease gun with any old grease will easily, but slowly, extend it as it takes a lot of grease.

After removing the old tracks, and the release plug (in whatever configuration yours has) nothing will happen until you use something like a come-a-long to compress the cylinder, then lots of grease will pour out all over the top of your cylinder and perhaps drop onto whatever is below it. You can catch as much as you want on a paper towel or just scrape it up and wipe the residue. Its just a messy job!
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: tensioner pressure

Post by Al Swearengen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:35 am

Jack-the-Ripper wrote:When just sitting, the tensioner only has enough pressure to resist the weight of the sagging top of the tracks. A normal grease gun with any old grease will easily, but slowly, extend it as it takes a lot of grease.

After removing the old tracks, and the release plug (in whatever configuration yours has) nothing will happen until you use something like a come-a-long to compress the cylinder, then lots of grease will pour out all over the top of your cylinder and perhaps drop onto whatever is below it. You can catch as much as you want on a paper towel or just scrape it up and wipe the residue. Its just a messy job!
Thank you! That's what I was hoping, but had to ask. I'm trying to gather all the tools and information for this to be a one-trip-up-the-hill affair.

I should release the grease from the tensioner BEFORE removing the tracks, correct? Would a 4x6 board, placed between the front spool and one side of the 6-way blade work for this to to compress the cylinder...just ease the angle of the blade back towards it?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Al-

Yes, the method you stated will work for retracting the adjuster (after the plug is removed). Retracting it will make removing or splitting the tracks much easier. I am not sure about the 450s, but I think some models have a check ball under that plug so look for it before you start retracting it. Maybe the check ball is under the zerk? Someone else will need to verify.

Another way to retract is to use a skid steer or other piece of equipment to push it in.Whatever you have handy will work. I have done it the hard way before (with a come-a-long).
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment