450 Loader steering clutch ??

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

450 Loader steering clutch ??

Post by JD-thomas » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:15 pm

I have a 450A that when you go to turn it whines alittle if under a load. More so to the left than right.. And if I push up againest a tree or pile it while whine then too. I have a service manual however not sure what to be looking for. I had a straight 450 before and when pushing it would jump the machine and keep spinning the tracks it was like you couldnt bog it down... please help me get this one the same. Thanks
John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pilot Bearing

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:13 am

Here's a thought. The steering clutch packs consist of steel clutch plates interlocked with tabs protruding into a brake drum with a pressure plate bolted to it. This is solidly coupled through a spline to a shaft that provides power to the final drive's smaller upper gear.

The rest of the clutch pack is the friction plates (interleaved with the steel plates) splined to an inner hub that is, in turn, splined to a shaft that brings power out from the transmission case.

These two splined shafts, although axially aligned, must be free to rotate independently when the clutch is disengaged, yet they are actually connected (coupled?) inside the clutch pack via a small bearing, [similar to the pilot bearing (bushing) between the engine's flywheel and the transmission's input shaft]. If this bearing freezes up, the smaller inner shaft will rotate in the dry inner race. or if it dries up, the balls will rotate in a rough pitted race - either of which can cause the whine when pulling back a lever to steer which requires these two shafts to turn at different speeds.

Now if your clutches are worn and not pulling with maximum efficiency, they will slip when pushing hard, preventing the tracks from throwing dirt, and simultaneously causing the the whine since slipping clutch plates will again require relative movement between these two clutch shafts.

If this is the case you'll need to remove the clutch packs and rebuild or replace parts as necessary, requiring removal of the seat, side "boxes" and fuel tank, and splitting the tracks, to gain access to the clutchs. You do not need to remove the final drive housings to service the clutches. :(
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by JD-thomas » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the help!! I plan on pulling the covers off the clutches this weekend...
John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer