350 value?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 value?

Post by oldtanker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Found an early (I think) 350 loader. Sprockets and chains are about gone but has had the steering stuff redone less that 100 hours ago. Engine runs good, tranny seems good and reverser works as it should. Guy is asking 2500. What would be a ruff guess at the cost of sprokets and chains?

Would it be worth the 2500?

Rick

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 am

Ok thanks Ken. I'm looking for something for here on the farm. Don't want to break the bank but want something usable. I think that the 350 is a little bigger than I've been looking for. So far I've eleminated AC and the IH ag crawlers from my search because of parts availability.

Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 am

I used to figure $3000 for new rails, pads, and bolts, but would have to double check to see if I am still in the ballpark.
Lavoy

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for that info Lavoy. I guess I could use a skid steer but I want a dozer. At 2500 for the 350 plus 3k for tracks that would be getting close to the price of a good used skid steer. Really wish I could find a dozer with a 3 point and pto, only one I've found so far is an IH 340. From my research I would have problems find stuff for the tracks and undercarriage. I've got lots of thorn brush to clear and for some strange reason tracks don't go flat.

Rick

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:35 am

Hi Oldtanker-

It can be a tough decision on whether you need a crawler or skid steer loader to get farm tasks done (FYI, I have both :) ). The choice really depends on all of the tasks you envision. Currently we only know you need to clear brush. As you mention the crawlers are flat proof- however so are skid steers if you get foam filled tires or the solid tires.

The basic tradeoffs between a small crawler and a medium size skid steer loader are power, speed, fuel consumption, and attachment flexibility, and transportability.

A small crawler is going to be able to outdig, outlift, and outpush a comparably priced skid steer. However it will be slower and less maneuverable, and also likely use more fuel and repairs will generally be more costly. Attachments for the 350 are intermittently available but are limited mainly to backhoes and rippers and not necessarily as easily changed when compared to skid steer attachments. They are a little tougher to transport because of the additional weight.

A skid steer will probably be more economical to run and maintain and will have a quicker ground speed and more maneuverability, but will have the power limitations previously discussed when compared to a crawler. They are a little easier to transport. As you probably know there are an almost unlimited number of attachments for the skid steers, although for the price range of the skid steer you are considering you will not likely be able to use high flow hydraulic attachments.

On the surface it would appear that a tracked skid steer would be a good compromise, but those type of skid steers are probably out of your price range and the tracks on tracked skid steers wear out relatively quickly in abrasive materials and are costly to replace. Tracks for wheeled skid steers may seem like a cost-effective compromise but are fairly hard on the drive components.

If you give us a better idea on the types of activities you envision we could probably give you some additional food for thought. If your clearing involves trees, it could greatly change the decision between the two (in my opinion).
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Tiger, We need to clear prickly pear and thin the woods some (about 80 acres). Clear fence lines, some in low wet areas that a skid steer with out tracks can't go (don't ask how I know that). Drag wood out of the woods. There is some earth work to do too. We feed a few head of beef outside so clean up of hay/manure (real easy to stick a skid steer there too...again don't ask). And maybe feed round bales in the winter. If I can find a crawler loader with a 3 point or that I can adapt one to maybe working the soil in the woods for food plots. I have a Ford 8N for a chore/garden tractor. A small dozer with a cat one hitch would allow me to used the plow and post hole auger on it. If I can find one with or ad a pto I can bush hog with it too. Not needing anything new or fancy just usable. The little 40's 440's 1010' would be perfect.

Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Not that I am prejudiced or anything :lol: but a skid steer in the price range you are talking would be close to useless in the conditions you state in my opinion. I seldom run a skid steer, but have had a few in mud, snow, etc. Yes, the heated cab was nice, but it was kind of useless, because I had to get out to hook up the log chain to pull the POS out of the whatever I was stuck in. The only one I ever ran that would perform even close to a crawler in marginal conditions was a full tracked skid steer. Even that one got drug out on the end of a hook because it would not back out of an incline in snow. Any crawler I have ever owned would have pushed right through where I stopped, and then easily backed out of the hole with no effort.
If you want own both, that would be a great combination, but if you can only own one, make it a crawler.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I do many of the activities that Oldtanker mentioned on my farm. I would concur that a crawler will be able to do more of the things you mentioned easier than a skid steer in that price range. It is difficult for a medium sized skid steer to drag larger logs, especially if a little slick and the tipping weight can be exceeded with lifting a round bale. if your earthwork is anything more than digging small ditches or surface grading, you will want a crawler.

I also have a Ford 8N which I use for 3-point work instead of the crawler, except for augering which I use the skid steer or my Ford 4000 tractor (live hydraulics). However there is an adapter plate for 3-point implements that you can get for a skid steer.

Again, I own and use both types of machines so my advice would be to get both ;)
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Yea I kinda figured that a crawler would be my best bet. Right now with other equipment to buy I can get a crawler or a skid steer but not both. One of the reasons I want a 3 point on one with PTO is fencing along the swamp. I know there are a couple of places that the N and PHD wil not go but a crawler will. Add in that I have a few hills (and lots of trees....eat your heart out Lavoy, I know what yer neck of the woods looks lke!) that I would like to brush hog that I really don't want to take a wheeled tractor on.

Rick

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Go with the crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:23 pm

For farm use, i always recomend a loader machine but everyone wants a dozer for some reason. We run angle dozers on 350C wide pad loader machines and find them alot more useful on the farm and on the job site than our dozer machines. I think i can do a better job grading with the loader machine anyways. Also a loader machine can push over a much larger tree than a dozer machine.

$2,500 is cheap. I just paid $2,650 for a 350B with an outside mount dozer, canopy and winch in non-running condition. UC is shot and it had a electrical fire (starter, alternator, filters and wiring). I would take any amount of these machines for this price either to fix or part out. Maybe deeres are worth more up here in Canada.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:10 am

Jason most crawlers here in the Minnnesota area go pretty high. How about a 1952 D2, pony needs work, ran when parked a few years ago, 5,000 as is. The guy with the 350 seems to be pretty honest. And I agree about a crawler loader being a better farm dozer than a blade, I don't even own one but can see where the loader could be real handy.

Rick

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 am

I think over all an older crawler loader is a good purchase but forget most PTO operation with these 350s450sand 550s and 350s won't even start with a bush hog hooked up These John Deere crawlers are full time PTO you want to shut the implement down you shut the crawler down and you unhook it you want to start you shut the motor off hook it up and hope it starts again Also the PTO is slower than a tractor at 430-450 RPM [rugged down hill with the wind on your back] It may have the 540 spline but it's only made to run a winch as far as I am concerned they shine with one of those on .The best thing Deere did was change the spline and rotation for the 4000 series winch starting with the G series crawlers I have one on my 650H dozer [That I didn't know I had any more till a year ago when the cops found it ].PTOs are OK but too many buy this and find out after it isn't like a farm tractor so watch this .Digitup.