450 power steering pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

450 power steering pump

Post by tjdub » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 pm

When I got my 450, the PS reservoir was dry. I filled it up and it worked great until all the fluid ran into the engine oil. It was obviously a bad seal, so I pulled the pump off, but in new o-rings, shaft seal, and gasket. I got it all back together and filled it the reservoir again and it stayed filled for 2 weeks. Then I went to use it for a couple of hours and all the fluid drained into the engine again!

I guess that means that either the pump housing, shaft, or guide screw are too worn. They sure didn't seem sloppy when I had it apart, but I don't have a micrometer to measure. The housing is unavailable and the shaft is unaffordable. Is it worth dropping $40 on guide screw (labeled 19 below) to see if it makes a difference?

jimmiediesel24
MC crawler
MC crawler

how hard was it to pull the pump off?

Post by jimmiediesel24 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:30 pm

I need to do the something. How hard was it to get the pump off? Was u able to get it off with out remove the radiator?
thanks
jimmie
racing because baseball and football is played only with one ball!!

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: how hard was it to pull the pump off?

Post by tjdub » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

jimmiediesel24 wrote:I need to do the something. How hard was it to get the pump off? Was u able to get it off with out remove the radiator?
thanks
jimmie
It's pretty easy actually. You don't need to take out the radiator. You have to take off two bolts on each side of the frame and the 4 little bolts on the belly pan and the whole front shroud tips forward giving you room to work (radiator stays in place though).

There are regular hex head bolts and two allen key bolts holding the pump on. The allen key ones are hidden in crud. It took me a while to find out why my pump wouldn't come off :)

Anyway, the hardest part is getting the lines off of the top of the pump. It's kind of tight turning an open end wrench between the engine and radiator. Lots of short little turns.

jimmiediesel24
MC crawler
MC crawler

thanks

Post by jimmiediesel24 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info. It will help.
jimmie