1980 450C OIL TYPES

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
joelvand
MC crawler
MC crawler

1980 450C OIL TYPES

Post by joelvand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:17 am

We recently bought a 1980 450C and have no owners manual for it yet and the sticker above the battery has all the important info worn off. The dealer can't tell me what oil it takes and can't get the sticker because they're an AG dealer. The closest industrial dealer is over an hour away. He did tell me that the hyd oil in the tank to the right of the seat is just hyd oil. but what kind of oil go in the clutches and rear end and where ever else oil goes. We are going to be getting something for a manual but were looking for a used one cause the new ones are $250. Any one have one for sale. Or even a CD for that matter? thanks for any help on this.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1980 450C OIL TYPES

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 am

joelvand wrote:He did tell me that the hyd oil in the tank to the right of the seat is just hyd oil. but what kind of oil go in the clutches and rear end and where ever else oil goes.

Since I don't have a 450C, others should weigh in on this but I believe the transmission and hydraulic steering clutches all use Hy-Gard. I'm not sure about the final drives, but thought they also get Hy-Gard. Obviously the engine gets a good quality engine oil. I'm not exactly sure how the turbo is lubricated.
joelvand wrote:We are going to be getting something for a manual but were looking for a used one cause the new ones are $250. Any one have one for sale. Or even a CD for that matter? thanks for any help on this.
The manuals for those machines are available from Deere as a download (PDF) or CD as well as a hardcopy at reduced costs.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Joel we use Hy-Gard or Shell equivalent on trany and hydraulics .You may find the old Deeres like a specific 15-30 diesel oil .We have used bulk Deere 15-30 oil for 4 years now and are getting good engine performance up too 330 hours on a change with the Plus 50 oil in our excavators and we average around 300 in the dozers .Your machines manuals are well worth the bucks find one in good shape even on E Bay if you look try for parts manual , tech manual and FOS manuals [fundamentals of service manuals ]are sometimes a handy book as well especial the motor , electrical and hydraulic FOS manuals.Digitup.
Last edited by digitup2 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 1980 450C OIL TYPES

Post by tjdub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 am

joelvand wrote:The dealer can't tell me what oil it takes and can't get the sticker because they're an AG dealer. The closest industrial dealer is over an hour away.
That's just company policy for in-store service. You'll find that if you go to the jdparts website, you can order what you need and pick it up at your local ag dealer.

http://jdparts.deere.com

As for oil types, use HyGard or equivalent in everything except the engine oil. Here are capacities at the bottom of this file:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construc ... s/450C.pdf

[C] code means HyGard

Lakeview
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Lakeview » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm

The best parts manual is the one online at deere.com. You can look up by models and print off the pages you want. A parts manual is almost as good as a service manual for exploded views. My .02