450C Transmision Over Heating

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C Transmision Over Heating

Post by Farmboy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 am

I was working yesterday just clearing and cleaning up the edge of fields. Not working hard but a lot of back and forth. I noticed the transmission temp was climbing up to the red. I checked the fluid level and it was at the top mark.

Can anyone offer any assistance as to what might be causing the over heat and what I should do about it?

Thanks fort any input.
450C

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 am

Clutch pack slippage is the biggest heat build up and fast.So here it is in a nut shell .Your clutch pack is worn down enough that the unit cant get enough pressure to keep the clutch faces tight together so slippage occurs and this heats the oil lowering the viscosity and lowering the pressure slipping the clutch pack even more .It's your basic catch 22 scenario though so get prepared to rebuild that unit soon .Digitup.

Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Not what I wanted to hear - but it is what it is.
I have access to a shop with hoist, etc.
Can you tell me how major a job and a rough idea of parts cost?
I'm looking in the tech manual and it says you have to pull the engine!
I'm wondering if I should just sell and try to get another outfit - although I've put a lot of time and money getting this machine up.
Crap.
450C

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:32 am

Don't be too discouraged if you have a shop an over head crane and your manuals I would start looking for clutch disks and watch your bearings as they come out and also seals as they come out replace the seals with new ones you should be OK keep in touch with us .Clutch replacement is really straight forward you will see once you get into it .Digitup.