450 HLR temp sending unit

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
steven flanagan
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 HLR temp sending unit

Post by steven flanagan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm

had a little down time,rain,thought I would see why trans. temp Gage wasn't working. Pulled up floor boards to follow wire back to sender just ends as a fr aide naught about half way down HLR I haven't seen a sender around there I will need to do some cleaning to see better but hoped some one could narrow the search.
not shown in manual
trying to do way to much stuff my self

Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:50 am

On my 455D, Right side of transmission, closer to seat than dash, way down low. A little bump cast into the transmission case with a threaded hole pointing up and to the rear. Mine was covered with grime and I could not even see it until I took a slender stick and scraped the side of the transmission.

My transmission temperature guage died and JD replacement is a VDO guage that uses a different sender. With the old JD OEm sender the VDO guage reads about 40 deg F high.

I clearly can't change the sender from above. And I have been too busy (lazy) to crawl underneath plus I suspect something has to be removed to get at it.

If you find the way to replace the sender, please let me know.
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia

JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by JD-thomas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Mine on my 450A was down on the right side of the tranny kinda under where you step to get on the machine.. I found it from the top but was able to change it from the side by feel... Couldnt see it but was able to do it from the ground reaching behind frame... just have new one ready to go in so you can save your fluid.... it could get messy!!!
John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 pm

There's a sending unit screwed into the cover for the transmission screen filter. I assume that's the temp one because there wouldn't be any pressure there.

It's on the right side of the machine and you'll have to drain the transmission to take it off, but at least you can clean the screen while you're at it.