350 crawer lost power to finals

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 crawer lost power to finals

Post by gerald » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I was on top of a small mt pushing with the bucket , for no reason I lost 50 % of the grunt and it went to squeeling and slipping. I got it down from the mt. All the oils where good. I found clean oil dripping from a weep hoe under the tractor at rear of the engine. Would that be oil from the reverser transmission soaking the engine clutch ? I removed the floor boards and there is no way to change them out, that could be a big job. Im hopening the the noise is coming from the steering clutches . Any Ideas would help. Gerald
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 pm

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 crawer lost power to finals

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

gerald wrote:I found clean oil dripping from a weep hoe under the tractor at rear of the engine. Im hopening the the noise is coming from the steering clutches . Any Ideas would help. Gerald
Hi Gerald- I am not as familiar with the 350 series crawlers as others, but on the dry steering clutch machines there is usually a plug under each steering clutch housing that can be used to drain the housing if it becomes submerged. Oftentimes the plugs are removed and nopt put back, which then looks like a weep hole. If you are getting oil dripping from the housing, then it is likely that you have a worn seal that is allowing fluid to drip into the clutch housing from the finals or the pinion. Fluid in the housing could also cause the brake bands to squeal when engaged or to cause the fiber discs in the steering clutch to slip.

If this is the case, you will likely need to replace the steering clutch discs as well as fix the seal that is leaking, because generally oil soaked discs cannot be reliably restored without the potential for future slippage when they get hot and weep oil.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment