450c fuel filter - hard starting below 30 degrees

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
remley
40C crawler
40C crawler

450c fuel filter - hard starting below 30 degrees

Post by remley » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 am

I have a 82 450c that needs a fuel filterchange,it's crawler loader and the bucket is down. My problem is I can't reach in with all of the boom parts in the way to get to the filter,especially the bleed screw.Any and all help will be great.

Problem #2- Are all 450c's hard to start incold weather? I need to use either when the temp. is below 30 and right now with the temps. in the single digits it's a lost cause. It's sits outside at my farm but is covered up very well with a tarp. Please help.

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 450c fuel filter - hard starting below 30 degrees

Post by DBCSteve » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:19 am

remley wrote:Problem #2- Are all 450c's hard to start incold weather? I need to use either when the temp. is below 30 and right now with the temps. in the single digits it's a lost cause. It's sits outside at my farm but is covered up very well with a tarp. Please help.
My 450C was hard to start during a cold spell a few weeks ago. Cranked it a couple of times for 10-15 seconds to warm up the cylinders, and it finally started. I vowed to use the built-in starting fluid adapter next time, but after looking at it I found out that the line from the adapter to the intake manifold was broken. Another thing to fix....
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Good starting compared to others

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Just a few tips on starting in cold weather.

1. Make sure you have two batteries installed, makes a huge difference.
2. Run some winter fuel in it if available.
3. Install a block heater.
4. Make sure you step the cluch petal all the way to the floor, this activates the dry cluch.
5. Don't be afraid of using either, deere engines can handle it. Use good quality like Kleen Flo, i beleive it has a lubicant in it.

We at times need to start our 450C loader cats and when plugged in never need to give them either. If you have a good block heater installed the snow will even melt off the hood if it is not to cood. We usually get a week or two of minus 30-35 below celuis up here in Edmonton. After minus 20-25 they don't start well even with either when they are not plugged in. I can't stress enought how important and in expensive a block heater is on these machines, very easy starts and no dissapointment if they don't.

When nothing else will run, our 450C's will. We have 5 450C's in total, 3 loaders and 2 dozer in our fleet
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 450c fuel filter - hard starting below 30 degrees

Post by tjdub » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm

remley wrote:I have a 82 450c that needs a fuel filterchange,it's crawler loader and the bucket is down. My problem is I can't reach in with all of the boom parts in the way to get to the filter,especially the bleed screw.Any and all help will be great.

Problem #2- Are all 450c's hard to start incold weather? I need to use either when the temp. is below 30 and right now with the temps. in the single digits it's a lost cause. It's sits outside at my farm but is covered up very well with a tarp. Please help.
Could you pop the hood off for access?

As for hard starting, my 450 straight needs a shot of either when it's below 30F. You just have to be careful using ether this way since the air-cleaner is taking out all of the lubricant in the spray unlike when you use the built-in ether manifold (if equipped). If you load it up with ether, it will wreck the engine. I give it a little puff before I start cranking and that's just enough go get a couple of pops. Then I crank for a little while longer and it usually goes on it's own, if not I repeat with another little puff.

If you usually park it near an electrical outlet, install a block heater. Even a magnet oil pan heater, or dipstick heater would help a lot.

[/i]