6405 6 way blade

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Riparius
MC crawler
MC crawler

6405 6 way blade

Post by Riparius » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 am

I need a pair of angle cylinders for a 6405 6 way blade? Working on a 450C. Blade was in rough shape. I have repaired and rebushed the c-frame. Replaced the angle frame. Lift and tilt clyinders are good and will be rebushed. The angle cylinders (both ends) are wore badly such that new bushing/pins is not the answer. Machining the cylinder ends does not seem cost effective given the need for oversized pins bushing etc.. New aftermarket cylinders are $700 each. Anything cheaper out there? Any one interested in the old cylinders? They work, no leaks, no scores, just sloppy.. Suggestions please
Roger

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 am

Are you sure it's not a 6415? I might be wrong but I thought the 6405 was the model blade for the 350s.

Anyway, if it's just eyelet slop are you sure it's not the pins that are the cause? If the eyes in the cylinder really are that worn, I would ask your local machine shop if they could bore them out and press bushings in. Heck, maybe they even have their own plan for dealing with the problem. I'm guessing that whatever a machinist could do to solve the slop problem will be much cheaper than $1400.

DBCSteve
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by DBCSteve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:43 pm

tjdub wrote:Are you sure it's not a 6415? I might be wrong but I thought the 6405 was the model blade for the 350s.
The 450C dozer could have one of three blades: 6405, 6410 and 6415. The 6405 is the 6-way hydraulic blade.

As to the original poster's questions, full replacement may be necessary or you could simply get a new tube. Both of my angle cylinders had one of the two "dog ears" broken off, so rebushing was not possible without welding on a new "dog ear". I got a new tube for the first cylinder, but in taking it apart I found that I also had a bent rod. So the cost of rebuilding that cylinder was about the same as buying a complete new cylinder -- which is what I did for the second one. I got my parts at brokentractor.com since they were much cheaper than other sources I could find at the time (last summer). $700 for this cylinder, especially including freight, sounds like a good price (unfortunately). Brokentractor.com has a decent price on the cylinder seal kit: 40 bucks. The JD dealer wanted $170, and I don't think they sell too many at that price! Good luck.
JD 450C, Serial No. 316559T
formerly owned JD 350B, Serial No. 126738T
Kubota L3400 top-n-tilt

tjdub
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tjdub » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:41 am

DBCSteve wrote:
tjdub wrote:Are you sure it's not a 6415? I might be wrong but I thought the 6405 was the model blade for the 350s.
The 450C dozer could have one of three blades: 6405, 6410 and 6415. The 6405 is the 6-way hydraulic blade.
Right you are. I guess I just got the numbers mixed up.

It's the 6400 and 6405 that are the 6-way blades for 450s

The 6410 and 6415 are the 4-way blades.

The 350 blades are the same but start with 63 instead of 64.

Riparius
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Riparius » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 am

Hey thanks for the input.
More information: both the barrel (dog ears) and the rod end are worn badly in my opinion. Almost egg shaped on the rod end. When I first took it apart I could see bushing 360 degrees in the rod end. thinking it was just bushing wear(the pins look fine) I order new bushing. What came was from brokentractor was just very thin steel bushing. My guess is the OEM bushing were neglected, the rod ends wore and I bought a tractor that someone had just thrown new bushing in and resold. The thin bushing is now eggshaped. The four dog ears are sloppy from years of banging I guess. Poor design IMO.
I also thought that taking them to a machine shop and having them overbored and bushed would be cheaper. I went to two places. Not the case in my neck of the woods, well not much cheaper anyway when you bore them and build new bushings.
I checked with Nortrax. Complete JD unit is $2,400 each. JD Rod is $900 each. JD barrel is not available. Would need seals also. Also through Nortrax, aftermarket direct replacement complete unit is $700 each plus freight.
It kills me to spend $14-1,500 on cylinders but it seems like the right thing to do at this point. Figure these have new seals and future bushing and pins would remain OEM size.
What are the old cylinders worth? $250 pair maybe? Someone with broken dog ear could use these. I may adapt them for use as an adjustable three point hitch top link cylinder too.