HLR Clutches on a 450c and need parts.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

HLR Clutches on a 450c and need parts.

Post by rufustoad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:36 am

Hello Again! I had a great day yesterday and fired up my 450 after not running for a long time. I did crank it over a couple times a year but not start. Changed the fuel and she fired write up and the turbo gave me a whistle only a tech could love!! :D I even got to move it but after she warmed up it struggled. I have a ton of questions but will start with just a few basics. 1) I know that I need a drive clutch and plate, and I also know I need the steering clutches but is there any way to check the HLR discs with out pulling down the trans? 2) This is a loader so is it better to take off the lifting cylinders and brackets to remove the engine or just remove the bucket (hard time finding that procedure)? 3) Can you give an idea of where the SN is located? 4) Mr Lavoy do you have the clutch, plate, and brg for this 80s 450c? Well this is a start but cant wait to finish!
God Bless
Todd

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

450C Loader Engine Removal

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 am

Best to remove the bucket and then raise the loader and install a mechanism to keep the loader up. We use heavy angle iron or u chanel and usually add flat bar to the ends (to protect the cylinder seals) and place them between the upper mount on the lift cylinder and then back to the cylinder. Make sure that you chain or otherwise secure them in place. Safety first.

Use a shop crane or a heavy cross chained accross the loader to remove the engine.

With that being said, if we are doing a transmission or HLR in a loader macine, we next remove the entire loader assembly. We find it much quicker to do it this way, the book tells you to do it wit the loader in place. We have other equipment to lift the loader off so it is not really a big deal. We have done rebuilds on 3 450's in the past year (1 we work and 2 for sale).

Read you manual thoughly before beginning, the HLR could just be out of adjustment.

Best to fix the HLR first and then the steering cluches. IF you were in Canada, try Brandt tractor as they have some used parts. We are lucky enough to have wrecked a few 450C and keep the parts on the shelf for our own machines as it gets very expensive to buy new, although at times this is the only option.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Jason, just spent the better part of the day and pulled all of it off (by myself I might add). Not a bad job but boy those 4 lift cylinder hoses on the inside of the frame were not fun :x. I am ready to pull in the garage but do you just cap off the hoses to start and move the tractor? Does anyone know if the HLR discs are very expensive? May just go ahead and do it.
God Bless
Todd

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I should be able to get most or all of the stuff you described. Engine clutch and steering clutches are no problem, would have to do some research on HLR discs, but as far as I know availability is no problem.
Lvaoy

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Lavoy, Thanks for the reply. So how do I get a quote on the plate, disc, and brg?
God Bless
Todd

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 am

Send me an e-mail, give me the part numbers if you have them. I will do some digging and get back to you.
Lavoy