350b cylinder not firing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bigdaddy
MC crawler
MC crawler

350b cylinder not firing

Post by bigdaddy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:29 am

My son just bought a 350b and we went through some repairs already. we replaced water pump, broken hydrolic pump along with several hoses and now in process of finding out why a cylinder won't fire. We have been running it and it just lost power putting out a lot of white smoke. we changed feul filters and started it up to find that 1 cylinder wasnt firing. we pulled the head figuring that the piston had a hole in it. it didnt. we are about to pull the pan off to check rings. is there something we missed. I have some mechanics working on it and feel that maybe it was just the injector. is there a way to see if the injectors are the problem before we go any farther. thanks guys and this is a great forum. ive learned a lot already from about the crawlers.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:22 am

You can visually look at the spray holes at the end of each injector. Alot of times they get carboned up. The only true way to test them is with a pop-off tester. That will tell you what pressure they open at and what the spray pattern is. I know its past the point now, but you can swap injectors to see if the miss goes to a different cylinder. New injectors are fairly cheap, and you should change them in a set.

bigdaddy
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bigdaddy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:59 am

my mechanics couldn't pull the injectors on site so they opted to pull the heads. they said there was too much blow by coming out of the dipstick. not to many people want to work on this crawler around here. these guys seem like they are pretty good. we are guessing bad rings but am confused why the rings gave out all at once. the pistons work free and the walls aren't scorched. i guess we'll find out next time they come here. hopefully they made the right decision.
does anyone know a less expensive place to purchase rebuild kits. i'll need several gaskets now including a hydrolic filter and possibly rings. i have most of a tech manual for the 450 that i'm willing to share with anyone. would the 450 be a good guide on torques putting this back together or could you point me in the right direction? Thanks again

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:21 pm

The 450 is a different engine, one of a few 4 cylinder models . Get a 350b manual for the proper specs, should be a 3152 3 cylinder. There availible for download from the JDtechinfo website. There are plenty of people making rebuild kits for those engines as well.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 pm

My money is on a bad injector. I would stop all other work on the engine and check the injectors.
Lavoy

bigdaddy
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bigdaddy » Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 am

thanks guys. lavoy i guessed a bad injector also and hoping just that. it turned out to be #1 piston top ring and # 3 piston top ring broke and another frozen. my mechanic said probably from 3000 hours and spraying ether caused it.
anyhow can u guys help me a good place to find parts for the engine. im going to change injectors also. i need a hydrolic filter and all the engine gaskets.
i am recomending this site to all my people that helped me. the information in here is priceless.
thanks again