Transmission oil filter connections of JD450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Transmission oil filter connections of JD450

Post by Mariner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

Hi Guys,

I am thinking that my H-L-R transmission oil filter - the one mounted in front of the radiator, is connected incorrectly :shock: :shock: .

I was working underneath my machine recently (checking frame bracket bolts etc.) and just happenend to trace the oil lines from the transmission to the oil filter. It seems they are connected wrong - this is how the 450 was connected when I bought it.

From the manual, the oil pump sends the oil to the filter from the forward most connection to the oil filter and should enter the filter at the centre bottom of the connection - exit the filter to the side connection and then back to the H-L-R sump through the rear oil connection.

Could someone verify this for me - this is how I understand the oil ciruit to be. If what I think is right, then the setup I have presently :oops: :roll: is wrong. It appears that I might have the two filter connection reversed on my machine. If they are indeed reversed, what would be the likely damage caused ???

I would like to get it right if what I have is wrong. Incidently, there doesn't appear to be any problem with the transmission to date. I do have other problems that need to be dealt with, but so far the H-L-R is behaving itself.

Thanfully, I haven't been using the machine very much yet, so I am hoping for the best.

Thanks in advance, for any comments.

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.

Tom in Mo.
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Tom in Mo. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:06 pm

It's my understanding that the dirty oil enters to the outside of the filtering element and the clean oil exits from the center. This utilizes the most surface area of the filter element. It sounds like your tractor is hosed correctly.
There is a diagram of the oil supply/filtering system showing flow on page 130-5-2 of the Service manual SM-2064.
1966 450 Diesel 6-way Dozer
1965 2010 LP gas rowcrop
1967 1020 gas utility
a bunch of Fords

Mariner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mariner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:44 am

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

This is one of those "can't see the wood for the trees" type question.

I have done a lot of work on this machine (rebuilt the engine, new discs in both steering clutches etc.) so I'm not completely dumb :shock: :shock: :shock: . However, I just could not make up my mind on the transmission filter :oops: :oops: :oops: .

I still have a number of things to do including the fuel injection pump and some parts replacement on the undercarraige when money becomes available.

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Cheers

mariner
Hixon, BC, Canada
1968 JD450 Crawler Loader with ROPS, outside blade,rock guards, bucket and winch.