450C quit moving

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

450C quit moving

Post by NWJD fan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Had my 1980 450C out the other day and just as I was approaching my parking spot it very smoothly coasted to a stop. the engine was still running, it is like it declutched and stopped. No bad or unusual noises. No leaks. No combination of gear and range selection made any difference. Visible linkage appears to be intact. Shut it down and came back next day and tried again. It fired up just fine and did 2 passes pushing snow for about 50 feet then coasted to a stop again and there it sits. While I have owned the machine for a couple of years I have not done much work with it and no heavy pushing. It sits on a piece of property I am intending to develop in the near future. Prior to this episode it has started and run well. It does not have a transmission pressure gauge. The trans temp never gets very high in the green, no where near hot. Looking for diagnostic advice or suggestions and having lurked around this site a bit I am hoping to find some direction. Thanks in advance.

Smokey450C
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C quit moving

Post by Smokey450C » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 am

Hello NJDC fan,

It could be a number of things but it sounds like it just might be very low on transmission oil. I think I'd start by checking that if you haven't already. Does it make any strange noises or anything odd happen before it stopped? There are people here with a great deal of experiance and may be able to help but, will need more backround on your machine and what it is or isn't doing.
Smokey

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Tue May 17, 2011 12:07 am

So I finally made it back to my machine and the trans oil level is barely touching the dipstick and the oil level in one steering clutch housing is high while the other side is normal which seems to suggest that oil might be transferring from transmission to steering clutch housing. Where to go from here?