Need Some Good Opinions...350c Reverser Rebuild

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cuzz
420 crawler
420 crawler

Need Some Good Opinions...350c Reverser Rebuild

Post by Cuzz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

After taking the reverser apart, I discovered at least 1 1/2 cups of metal parts lying around. The roller bearing inside the Spider just wasn't there at all and one clutch plate and clutch disc was missing. The Shaft must be replaced for sure as well as the Spider and Hub. I am planning on replacing the clutches and the plates. The rest of the stuff looks good and feels nice and tight. Can I get by with this or do I need to just replace everything?

Also, the shaft on the Trans is very well worn and has a lot of a "tapered end" perhaps 1 1/2 inches or so that is very visible from several feet away. I know it needs to be replaced but can I do that without removing the trans?

Thanks...
Thanks,
Cuzz...

My wife says I never listen to her.... or something.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi
I would do all the bearings in the reverser, if you had junk rolling around it probably got into all of them. Id take a good look at your pump and it might not be a bad idea to inspect your control valve too, theres alot of places for metal to hide there that can really affect performance. Id assume your transmission input shaft is the one thats messed up? If so, yes it can come out throught the shifter cover. We actually are having that discussion in another thread right now.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

IF in doubt, fix it unless you want to dig your way to tranny to fix it again later. I hate rew,ork, would rather spend a little extra on parts when I am already in there, so I don't have to go back in again later.
Lavoy

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Hows the old saying go?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or something?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm

That is never more true that with crawlers. I remember the old Goodwrench commercials from many years ago. "You can pay me now, or pay me later". If I had a nickel from every time I have seen the proven on these little money pits, I would still be broke, but would have a lot of crawlers.
Lavoy

Cuzz
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Cuzz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 am

Guys, I agree totally with the pay me now or pay me later point of view. My biggest problem now is the outrageous prices that deere wants for their parts. I know they haven't made the 350s in a long time, but $735 for a reverser shaft seems like a mighty proud price. I would like to rebuild so I could keep the machine and know what I have but this isn't going to be cost friendly for sure. I know, there is no such thing as a cheap crawler.
Thanks,
Cuzz...

My wife says I never listen to her.... or something.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm

There are some places online offering aftermarket 350 reverser and trans parts. Youd just have to be really confident in the quality to use it when its in that far.....